Worst February Ever

𝕎ᴏʀsᴛ 𝔽ᴇʙᴜʀᴀʀʏ 𝔼ᴠᴇʀ
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
A rewrite of Spinel's last moments with Steven till she's shattered in Chapter 19: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡 from Steven Universe: 𝔸ʀᴋʜᴀᴍ 𝔼ᴅɪᴛɪᴏɴ by Samuel152
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Steven made it to the location.

Carefully climbing down to the big crater, wheezing from time to time as he uses what's left of his energy from his dying body.

That Rejuvenator really took a lot out of him.

But as he enters, he also hears some faint noise from Spinel. It's obvious to assume what he hears are her manic giggles, but maybe also... crying?

Either way, when he finally settles his feet on the stable soil ground and turns around, he instantly sees Spinel just standing in the middle of the jagged crater.

Enough distance between them for something like an arena, far from each other but close enough for a quick attack.

And like she already knew it was him, Spinel spoke out loud cockily without turning around. "Didn't think you'd come here, I really thought you were gonna let your friends really help you this time for once. But I guess it's true, Steven Universe always prefers for himself—"

Taking her off guard, Spinel is suddenly pushed to the ground.

Steven sneakily took the opportunity during Spinel's monologue and pounced right behind her, making her fall face flat as dirty dust blew off from the ground she's pressed on.

Tugging her pigtail, he brings her head close for him to firmly ask, "Where is-"

Then Steven is swiftly kicked in the gut, making him loosen his grip.

Spinel took him by surprise this time.

Leaving him open, she stretched her leg – that Steven, fortunately, left unpinned – to hit his arm away, his pressure on keeping her body flat as well as the clench of her messy pink hair.

Once released, she quickly rolled around to send a swift punch but her fist was met with a block.

Her arm is pulled away and both Steven's arms dive in to tightly clutch her throat. Spinel briefly gags as Steven slowly and intimidatingly lifts her still rag-doll body, not even quite struggling like she immediately gave up.

All this combat happened so quickly, each delivery given is either taken or dogged by the other, almost endlessly. It's as if their strengths are merely the same, maybe complement each other even.

He repeated himself, more impatiently this time, "Where. Is. It?"

"Where's what?" Spinel manages to croak her voice out so casually, "You gotta be specific, Stevie."

Violently shaking her as his teeth bared at her - which didn't really affect her - when Steven snapped, "The cure!!!"

"Ohhh, you mean the medicine?" Spinel's tone was still teasingly squeaky, limply tilting her head like a confused kid. "I mean, you sure do look like you need one. Yikes. It's like you've been dug up from the ground. Oh, hey! We're practically underground, are we?"

"ENOUGH!!!"

Steven shortly coughed a bit after his irritated yell as he shook her again. Bringing her close to his eyes this time, he muttered, "No more games. Give me the cure, now."

"Or. What?" Spinel smirked, wanting to see just how far Steven would go.

And before he could even come up with a threat, Spinel actually brings out the cure from her gem!