Mommy Knows Best

"Lulu," Mommy called out. "Remember to be a good girl, okay." I was sitting in a special seat in the back seat of our car, and Mommy had to take me to daycare instead of taking care of me. She says she has work while I am off school for the summer. Grandma would visit during these times, but mommy says her sister had a kid, so grandma can't for some time.

I nodded silently to my mother's words. She told me to be a good girl so I'd be the best girl at daycare! Because whatever mommy says, I will follow.

A couple years ago, my daddy passed away. I cried and cried all day and night. I loved daddy very much, and it hurt me that I couldn't see him again! Why did he have to leave me?! I didn't understand it and wanted to escape from the world that took him away from me!

Mama was also crying, but she would always smile at me. She told me what I had forgotten and helped me move forward. Since then, I would quietly listen to my mother, and she knew better than I what I needed or wanted.

So, if my mama says I need to be a big girl, I'll be a big girl! As for today, she told me I was going to daycare, so I'll be going to daycare. I didn't know what was in store for me, but mommy must have known better anyway. I'll trust what she has said and cause no problems for anyone. I'm supposed to be a good girl, after all.

"Hello," said a gentle lady. She was at the reception desk as she greeted us. "Are you here to drop your daughter off?"

"Yes," Mama replied. "I am here to drop off my little Lulu." She gave me a smile when stating my name.

"Okay, we'll just need you to fill this out for us, and we can watch Lulu for you." They continued discussing what I would call "adult things." Such things as money, time, and anything I didn't really understand, but mommy would.

Mommy began filling out the sheet that asked general questions about me, such as my name or how old I was. I was eight, but I didn't know how important it was to know that. Either way, I trust mother would know better.

Once mother finished signing the sheet and turned it back in, we waved goodbye to each other.

"See you, sweetie! Be a good girl!"

I silently waved back with a nod. As long as I remained quiet, I wouldn't be any trouble to anyone.

"Okay, Lulu, why don't I show you around!" the caretaker gave me a big smile. She took me to different locations that had countless other children running about. They each were around or younger than me. I knew the best way to be a good girl was to avoid dealing with any other kid, so I had my eye on the drawing or reading station.

"Before I let you run free, I should check on one thing first. I trust your mother, but it's standard procedure here." She bent down to my height. "If you're a good girl, we'll give you a treat, okay?"

I nodded silently, as I intended to follow my mother's word.

"Very good," she flashed me another grin. "Now I'll just make this fast." I felt her hands around my waist. Mother told me to be a good girl, so I didn't want to say anything about it.

"Huh? You're wearing big girl undies." I wasn't sure why she needed to point that out, but it was true. "Your mother must not have filled in the part about you being potty trained. Can I ask you, Lulu, are you potty trained?"

Was I potty trained? Mother wouldn't make a mistake like that unless it were true. "Ummm," I mumbled. "Mommy said I not potty trained?"

"Well, she left the part asking if you were potty trained unchecked. That left me thinking you weren't. But it could always just be a mistake."