Chapter One

"I have to ask you something. Meet me in the Room of Requirements tonight at seven," Hermione said as she passed Harry in the corridor. She moved on, lost in the sea of students walking between classes. She was running out of time; she had nine week's left then the jaws of the trap would be too tight for her to get out.

After her Ancient Runes class, she made her way to the dungeons where Professor Snape's office was. He might be teaching Defence, but he hadn't moved. She wondered if it was deliberate or because he still brewed for the Infirmary. She shoved the thought away; she needed her head to be clear. He was snarky, bitter and he didn't like her. Well, that was OK. If this went how she thought it would, in two weeks that wouldn't matter.

She knocked, and at his command, entered the classroom, "Good afternoon Professor," she said politely. Hermione stood silent, in front of the desk, waiting to be acknowledged. It was a game she played. She refused to fidget or let her attention wander until he acknowledged her. She thought he knew what she was doing and it had become a silent competition between them. Or, he just wasn't going to acknowledge any student until he was ready. She didn't know, and it was Professor Snape, so the chances were if she were right he'd deny it on principle.

"Miss Granger is there a reason you have blessed me with your presence instead of your NEWT Herbology class?"

"You have a free period now Professor, and I didn't wish to draw attention to my presence in your office after dinner."

"Ten points from Gryffindor, Miss Granger."

"Yes, Sir," Hermione replied, she'd expected at least detention. Oh well. Now she would have something to work towards, and she was fairly sure by the end of the meeting he would be in a towering rage.

He looked up from his marking and raised an eyebrow. Hermione took it as her cue to start talking.

"I wish to speak to you about a subject that necessitates some privacy, Professor."

"Indeed." His reply did not indicate his thoughts. He did, however, flick his wand towards the door. "Very well Miss Granger."

"I would like to inquire if you are aware of any contingency plans the Order may have in regards to the Marriage Law the Ministry has enacted sir."

"You are asking me for confidential information regarding the Order, Miss Granger," Professor Snape said, his eyes narrowing. It wasn't a question.

Hermione straightened her back and looked at him, threw caution to the wind. "Do you wish me to ask the Headmaster sir? Because honestly? After the offers of tea, sweets, a comfy chair, the ten minutes faffing around trying not to answer the question he still won't tell me the truth. Oh, he'll tell me something, but we both know it will at best be a polite fiction, a sugar coating of the truth. This is my life we are talking about, Professor. I know that in times such as we are there is an argument for the greater good—," Hermione sneered that a bit; she hadn't meant to, but it slipped out anyway. "But I can't see how my marriage, subsequent rape, and torture at the hands of whichever Death Eater was selected for me, can serve in such a case."

"Miss Granger—" Professor Snape said, rubbing his eyes, taken back by her bluntness.

"Don't lie to me!" Hermione snapped, then bit her lip and followed up more softly with, "Please sir, you don't like me. I'm a child, friends with Harry and we aren't known for making your life easy, but you have never lied to me. Please, don't make this the first time."

Professor Snape looked at her, maybe for the first time trying to put everything aside but the girl in front of him, and the situation that had caught her up.

"I believe the Headmaster thinks he has a plan." He stared at her, Hermione said nothing but twisted her hands together waiting. "He—," Professor Snape broke off and stood. "Come, Miss Granger, follow me."