First Invention

Rural's POV

My stomach grumbled. I was in my room, at midnight on my computer researching for stuff. Ever since the Honkai has appeared, it has taken many lives, including my parents, my mother and father. I lived with my Uncle and Aunt up until now but they too had to die with the Honkai too. I don't like to think too much of it, but I really wonder. 

I held the cabinet's handle and opened it. I really wonder, what life would I have if I didn't lose them. Love was a feeble thing, I even forgot the faces of my parents... I was only 2 years old when they died. But I still could hear and feel the last words and their soft touches on me when they finally succumbed to death. 

I took a packet of instant noodles and boiled up some water. I am... a Novelist. I'm someone who writes stories about simple things. But I rarely focus on the plot and more on the character development. I felt like those characters gave life to what the story is. Just like a god giving life to its creations. 

I sometimes kind of wonder how amazing would it be if I could become a god that surveys anything and everything. What story would I write when I was god? 

I poured the boiled water on my cup and closed the lid and stood up. I stared at the kids playing outside of my house. I live in a small village, it isn't far from the city, but it is still small and quiet here. Regret. Was the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the kids. Regret that I spent my whole life researching and continuing to chase the Honkai despite knowing that I was a single human. Regret that I shut myself in my room, living in my own world Isolated from the true world, wondering what makes me human and what makes me a shadow. 

It takes a lot of time to understand someone else... but it takes somebody decades to figure out their own self. I grabbed my chopsticks and started to dig in into my instant noodles feeling kind of dejected from reality.  

I sighed while grabbing the cup of instant noodles and started to go upstairs. I opened the lights to my room and placed the cup right beside my computer and I opened the computer. You could say I also was a researcher, I researched about Honkai but I could never really affect anything or something like that. All I can do is do theories about it that will might probably never come true. 

What a pathetic life. I thought to myself. While I kept on holding my chop sticks and clicking the keyboard I suddenly heard a doorbell. I peeked through the window just to see a weird man dressed in a whole suit. "Fancy.." I muttered before going downstairs and opening the door. 

"Hello? Is there anything you need?" I asked, with a voice that was quite rough and quiet. Seemingly felt like I haven't spoke to anybody in ages. The man held out a piece of envelope. "What is this?" 

"A letter coming from the Fire Moth. Please do read it." The man said in a polite voice while he turned around. "The contents are in the letter. Make a choice fast." Fire Moth? That organization? I turned around and locked the door before rushing to my room and opening the letter. 

Before reading the contents of the letter though, I searched the internet "Fire Moth." And I got a bunch of results. I clicked on one of the website. An organization that's been pushing back the Honkai, huh? I started to click more looking through the information. Creating supreme warriors called MANTIS. I continued to search through them. 

But I wondered one thing... Why me? I read the letter.

I am Dr. MEI, a scientist from Fire Moth. Let me get to the point quickly. We want you to come join on Fire Moth, and help us save humanity. We have reached your documents and theories about the Honkai through legal means, definitely not hacking I swear. And we want to use said theories on our side. Not only that but you managed to break through our hack and successfully protected your documents. Please meet us at XXXX at XXX. We will be waiting.