Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Norman?"

My boss, Norman Booker, swivels around in his chair. "It's Mr. Booker, Natalie. Hard to believe you can't remember that. You were here for ten years, for crying out loud."

"Y-yes, Mr. Booker."

"What were you going to say?" Mr. Booker says sternly. "I'm a very busy man."

"I've located Elizabeth."

"Perfect." His face curls up into a toothy grin. It almost scares me- but I'm used to his crooked smile. I've seen it too many times before... sometimes I feel like I have no emotion.

"Go, Natalie! What are you waiting for, you-"

"Yes, yes, Mr. Booker...!"

***

CRASH!

"Oh, dear, are you okay? I'm so sorry!"

That familiar face... I almost want to give in. But I can't. I've got to do it.

"It's alright. "

Elizabeth sighs at this, and I try to cover up my smirk, seeing her so clumsy.

"Is it just me... or do you look familiar?" I feign surprise, as I've done too many times before. Almost too many.
"Oh, uh, actually, yes. I'm Elizabeth Reid, if you're seen me?"

"Oh! Yes, that makes sense now.

She blushes. I almost want to shake her, screaming, "You're the dumbest and easiest to control person in history!"

"Well, it's kind of embarrassing when people recognize me." She looks at her gold-plated watch.

I'm almost jealous.

"Oh, dear! I have to go in ten minutes!"

"Ten?" I ask. "Isn't that a long time?"

"Yes, but... My father expects me to be very on time, even early."

"Oh."

"I enjoyed this little get-together... Do you want to meet at Starcups later?"

This is going according to plan!

"Why not?" I grin. "What time?"

"Oh, uh, erm..." She looks jittery. "5 o' clock?"

I nod. "That works for me."

She races off, quick as a rabbit.

***

"You're here!"

The truth is, I've been waiting for two hours. I don't want to be late.

"Okay. Let's go inside."

The fresh, coffee-scented air greets me as I'm hit with a blast of warm air. We take our seats, and a waitress walks up to us.

"Young ladies, how can I he- Oh!"

She's staring at Elizabeth. She's probably surprised.

"Welcome, Ms. Reid! And you friend here is..." She eyes me. I notice that little glint of suspiciousness in her eyes.

"Uh." She looks at me and whispers, "What's your name?"

"Natalie." I answered the waitress. She nods.

"So how can I help you today? A Mocha Latte? A specialty Cake Popresso, if you like cakes and coffees?"

"Ooh!" Elizabeth says. She reads the menu, murmuring, "...a cake pop of your choice along with a chocolate/vanilla espresso..."

"I'll take the Cake Popresso and the chocolate croissant."

So she's a sweets lover... I should take that into consideration.

"Just vanilla milk, please."

The waitress jots down our orders in her little notepad before looking back up. "Your orders are coming right up! We'll waste no time, my ladies!"

She races to the order counter, chattering away, before running to another table.

We really got to know each other on that Starcups visit, and I obtained some valuable information about her life.

As I think this over and walk to the train station, a horrifying thought hits me.

Was I actually having... fun?