14

Before the final round, the students were allowed to rest and refuel

Before the final round, the students were allowed to rest and refuel. Sana decided to wait for the cafeteria line to die down, wandering the halls absently without a set destination in mind.

After a few minutes of walking, however, she came across the very last person she wanted to see; Yoichi Sakano stood tall and proud in a sleek black suit, his fingers typing on his phone furiously. When he heard her approaching, he put his phone in his pocket and held his arms open as if inviting her in for a hug.

She stayed where she was.

"Congratulations," he smiled, his glasses glinting in the fluorescent light. "You didn't make a complete fool of yourself." He dropped his arms back to his side. "Though," he adjusted the frames on his slender nose. "I wouldn't say fourth place is anything to brag about, would you?"

"Says the man that's practically quirkless," Sana scoffed. "I'd like to see you try and do better."

Her father's cheerful facade dropped. Everyone in their family knew his dirty little secret, and how sensitive he got whenever the topic was brought up. It was the reason they arranged for him to marry her mother in particular, despite her not having a light-based quirk.

Because Yoichi Sakano was born weak.

Since the day he was born he'd been praised, their family having concluded that he would be the strongest Sakano in generations. Until the day he'd presented his quirk, and they realized that they'd vastly miscalculated. Sana found it amusing, really. How her family was so obsessed with power, ruining so many lives with quirk marriages, only for it to backfire on them. She assumed that his own insecurities were why he felt the need to criticize others so harshly. And why he seemed to loathe his own daughter's existence as much as she'd grown to despise his. Because as it turns out, she is the most powerful, not him. And it wasn't due to the Great Sakano Bloodline, either, but her mother's quirk.

Sana is a physical reminder of Yoichi Sakano's failure, his inadequacy. No amount of fame or money could buy her father the happiness he seeked. So he tried to take everyone else's away. If he had to be miserable, then so did they.

"Such an insolent thing," he chuckled, though the sound was cold and hollow. "So much like your mother." He tutted, shaking his head. "Remind me... where did that get her?"

Now he'd hit her weak spot. Touché.

Suzume Sakano was an unsolved mystery to everyone around her. Sana herself knew next to nothing about the woman. Her memories of her mother were vague at best, the woman having left when she was still very young. Most of the public assumed the woman was dead, and her father took no action to deny the claims. As an alleged widower, he could use sympathy in his favor.