1.

Karl POV

I groaned as the sunlight hit my eyelids, forcing me to wake from another restless slumber. Bright rays of light wrestled with my grey eyes as I struggled to keep my eyes open under the sun's forceful glare. I slowly sat up, one of my slender arms supporting my weight as I rubbed my eyes with my other hand, blinking the remnants of sleep that clung onto me like a disease. I unwillingly swung my legs over the edge of the bed, letting my bare feet touch the icy cold floor. The sun was barely enough to keep me warm, for the freezing grip of the fresh winter wind already sunk its serrated claws into my skin, turning my veins to ice. I shivered dangerously and even considered crawling back under my sheets, back to the warmth of my bed. My alarm suddenly beeped loudly, scaring the shit out of me. I slammed my hand over my phone screen, stopping the  loud beeping abruptly. I held a shaky hand over my racing heart. At least it woke me up a bit.

I reluctantly slipped away from the hypnotising warmth of my bed and made my way over to my closet. I thrifted through all my shirts slowly, before deciding on a white collared shirt and a baggy purple sweater. I matched it with a pair of high-waisted jeans and baby blue converse shoes, finishing the look with a silver necklace that had a blocky swirl strung delicately on the thin silver chain. I looked at myself in the mirror and double-checked my outfit. Not bad. I grabbed my backpack that was lying at the foot of my bed, and stuffed my schoolbooks into the cramped, fabricated space. I zipped up my bag and left it on my desk, as I quickly dashed to my bathroom to brush my teeth. I was almost done when I heard a voice downstairs.

"KARL! Breakfast!" My mom yelled from the kitchen.

"Coming mom!" I hollered back. I quickly rinsed my mouth and splashed my face with a bit of cool water, the icy touch flushing my cheeks pink. I dried my face and ran out the bathroom, snatching my bag and phone along the way. I ran into the hallway and rushed down the stairs, the smell of pancakes luring me into the kitchen. I skidded to a halt just as I was about to crash into my mom, who had a plate full of blueberry pancakes.

"Karl Jacobs! What did I say about running in the house?" My mom scolded me in a teasing tone, setting the plates down on the dining table.

"Sorry mom!" I giggled lightly, sitting down and helping myself to a few pancakes. 

"So, first day in highschool huh? How are you feeling?" She asked, sitting down directly in front of me, piling pancakes onto her own plate.

"Im feeling the same way I felt for the past 3 schools I moved to. Nothing new honestly, I just want to graduate so I can finally be rid of waking up early and studying my ass off. HEY! Ma, I think thats enough pancakes for you!"

Me and my mom laughed and started a small conversation, before it was time for both of us to leave. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you to school?" My mom asked, brushing a strand of chestnut coloured hair out of my eyes as I stood up to leave the house.

"It's alright ma. I'll be fine. Me and my skateboard are best buds, right?" I joked, talking to my skateboard as if it was a real person. Loneliness churned in the pit of my stomach, reminding me of my unsuccessful attempts to make friends. I shoved the feeling away, letting it sink and dissolve into my body, disappearing with a pang to my heart. 

"Alright sweetheart. Try not to get into trouble, okay? Dinner is in the fridge, I'll be home late tonight. You better be sleeping by the time I get back!" She said with a smile. My mom was a writer and worked late hours sometimes, collaborating with editors and other writers like her. I sighed inwardly and nodded, giving her a hug.

"Bye mom! I love you!" I called back at her as I left the house, dropping my skateboard on the ground and taking off with speed.

-----------------------------------------