Chapter 27.

27一 the perplexity of him

༻𖥸༺

You died screaming, yet the monster who took your place was silent.

────────────────────────

THEY STARED AT HIM, AS IF HE WAS AN animal put on display, made to perform just for their sick enjoyment. 'A little bird in a glass house' most have called him, when he was naught but a child. They ignored the signs, that the little bird was being raised by a dragon, that back then it was but a chick. He grew, and instead of becoming a bird of prey, as they all expected, he transformed into a lion whose razor sharp fangs eagerly awaited for the next fool to make a misstep in front of it.

The lion's eyes were sharp, and even though it looked docile from afar, its muscles were always ready for it to go on a prowl for its next victim.

They called him a beast behind closed doors. Because even though they tried to ruin his image (and they tried, oh they tried so ardently), the people of the empire did not believe. How could they? When the lion had brought them only happiness and safety? When it had done so much to protect them from the cruelty of the world?

Truly, the nobles of Obelia acknowledge, their prince was a coiled snake in tall grass.

────────────────────────

IT FELT WRONG, BEING HERE TO WITNESS this. The indifference in her brother's eyes was chilling as he looked at the nobles swarming around him like bees to sweet honey. It was obvious they were pandering for his favour, throwing out praises at him as easily as breathing. But her brother remained quiet, his gaze passing over them and their words falling off of him like water on a duck's feathers.

He looked at them as if they weren't even worth the dirt under his polished shoes. (She wondered, idly, what would it take for him to look at her like that.)

By his side were his two trusted knights, flanking him and looking cross at any who wandered too close. Two hounds of green and black, those two. She couldn't see clearly, but Hector's hand was resting upon the hilt of his sword and Kassian appeared to be wound tighter than a spring. And, in both of their eyes, a feeling of utter disgust befell the people surrounding her older brother.

On the fringes of that mounting crowd she could observe the two representative siblings from Xekch conversing with a turquoise haired man that she hadn't met before. Though, given what General Raed had said before leaving her company, she could make a guess as to who that was. Gregory Alancia was as intimidating close up as he was at distance, with the way his hair shielded his face from the sides and how his eyes seemed to glow with a constant distaste for those surrounding him. Perhaps it was real distaste, given the rumours she has heard from the maids.