Chapter 18

"Are you tired?"

Maura shook her head at Jane's question but she nonetheless yawned. She stretched her arms above her head in a feline way before rolling on her side in order to look into her friend's eyes. It wasn't as early in the morning as she had hoped to. As a matter of fact, they had even overslept. But Maura couldn't careless. She simply wanted to enjoy these few minutes of peace in bed with Jane because she knew that the serenity of the morning wouldn't last.

Her lips brushed Jane's in a soft kiss.

The sky must have been gray behind the beige curtains of Maura's bedroom because it was still dark inside the house. A cold and gray day of November. One you wanted to spend in bed with your beloved one.

"Happy Thanksgiving." Maura's fingertips caressed Jane's bare stomach under the blanket. Neither of them had bothered putting clothes on yet. They had made love the night before then they had fallen asleep in each other's arms, rocked by the quiet sound of the rain that was falling outside. "And good luck."

Jane burst out laughing. Her laugh rose loudly in the master bedroom before coming to die in the crook of Maura's neck as she leaned over to plant a kiss on Maura's shoulder.

Maura's sarcasm was spot on: her parents were coming from Switzerland in order to celebrate Thanksgiving with her and Jane's respective families. It was the first time both families happened to be reunited and the singularity of the situation betrayed a latent importance, as if Maura and Jane were making their relationship official. They hadn't planned on saying anything to anyone but it still sounded like it. Maura felt pressure. She wanted this day to be sweet, and successful.

"Your parents aren't as awful as you describe them, Maura." Jane checked the time on her cell phone. She reluctantly got up and walked to the bathroom. She knew that she couldn't stay in bed unless she didn't mind causing Maura's stress to go high. "They're a bit off but. They're okay. Just ahem. Not really. Typical parents."

Maura rolled on her back anew. She stared at the ceiling and wrinkled her nose. She disagreed with what Jane had just said but she wasn't in the mood to argue. As a matter of fact, she didn't have time to argue about anything. A kick from her daughter swept away her daydreams almost immediately.

"You don't know what they're capable of, Jane. Don't forget my mother had an affair with the gardener."

Jane appeared in the doorframe of the bedroom. She was wrapped in a bath towel and she had tied her hair up in a loose bun. She laughed lightly.

"The gardener is your own little fantasy, Maura. Your mother simply told you that she had affairs. Not that she had slept with the gardener. It can be anyone!" Jane shook her head. "They can't be worse than Ma. It's impossible."

Maura walked to the large windows in order to check the weather. She had guessed it properly: the sky was low, and gray. It was even windy. She raised a sarcastic eyebrow and - focused on the street - she shook her head at Jane.

"Do you want to bet?"

Maura leaned against the wall of the living room. She had found a very tiny spot that she hoped to be quiet enough. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. At least it smelled good: the turkey was in the oven - ready to be served - and the other dishes were already on the table. She simply wished the moment had been quieter.

Two many people were currently coming and going in her house. Speaking, laughing loudly. The fantasy she had of a full house was slowly vanishing in the air, swept away by the harshness of reality.

She felt a tad dizzy.

"You're running out of Cognac, Maura."

It wasn't a statement but a reproach. As zen as she could be, Maura opened her eyes anew and simply gives her mother a smile. She wasn't running out of Cognac. It was simply Constance Isles who needed to slow down on said alcohol.