Chapter 21

"Maura!"

Jane's voice rose so loudly that it caused Maura to jump and spill some of her drink on her in the process. Her hazel eyes widened as she stared at Jane as if her friend had lost her mind. Jane had literally yelled after her as if a terrible menace had been floating above her head. But she was at home - they were at home - and everything was going just fine.

"What?! Are you crazy?"

Jane made a step towards Maura. She pointed the glass Maura was holding. Her traits were deep and her lips were pursed. She looked concerned and quite angry.

"You're drinking whisky?! Do I have to remind you that you're pregnant? This has little to do with your glass of wine. This is strong alcohol! It's dangerous for Little M. Come on, have you lost your mind? What's happened to you?"

Maura observed her glass. It was 7pm and Jane could have been right because everyone had a drink at 7pm in the Isles universe. Or at least her mother did. Yet reality was very different this time.

"This isn't whisky, Jane. This is organic apple juice." Maura had to admit that her drink looked just as dark - amber - as whisky. But there was nothing to worry about here. She held her glass out for Jane to check it for herself. "Here."

Jane grabbed the glass but her traits had already softened up. As a matter of fact, she felt a bit stupid right now. She took a sip of the drink nonetheless before bowing her head shamefully. She had freaked out. The moment she had walked into the kitchen and she had seen Maura drink an amber beverage, her world had collapsed.

"Oh. Then why using a whisky glass? Or a Cognac glass? Or whatever alcohol it's named after..." Jane went to give the glass back to Maura but Maura shook her head and she checked the damage caused by Jane's outburst instead. Jane sets the glass down on the kitchen counter before grabbing Maura by the wrist. "No, let me do."

"Because it was at reached, Jane. That's why. I was... I was thirty and most of the other glasses are in the dishwasher."

Jane's lips brushed Maura's inner forearm. The tip of her tongue slid on her friend's skin as she licked the drop of the apple juice Maura had accidentally spilled while jumping in surprise.

Jane's dark eyes looked into Maura's hazel ones with a mischievous intensity that caused Maura to giggle. She didn't need to ask Jane what she had in mind. It was all too clear.

"I thought you were hungry." Maura let's Jane do. She even made a step closer and age tilted her head to offer a better angle of her neck to Jane's lips. She smirked. "Aren't you anymore?"

"I think I can wait a little." Jane kissed Maura's neck. Softly. Suggestively. She then looked into her friend's eyes anew. "Am I done or I've missed another drop of apple juice?"

Jane's hoarse voice had turned husky, and lower. Maura bites her lower lip. She took a deep breath and let's her latent arousal pass underneath her skin. She had not planned on making love right now but she could easily bring changes to the list of tasks she had in mind for the evening. This wasn't a problem at all. On the contrary.

"There. There's some too."

Without eye contact with Jane, Maura showed the pale inches of skin between her breasts. Of course, it wasn't true. She hadn't spilled her drink on her chest but the occasion was too perfect to be missed.

"Oh, I see."

Their playful interaction was very unusual for they never really give into such kind of scenario. They simply kissed or begin to caress each other most of the times and it resulted enough for both to understand what was supposed to happen next. Maura didn't mind this shift into their intimate habits but it nonetheless stirred up a wave of timidly within herself. Against all expectations. She didn't really understand her very own reaction.