Chapter 20

Third Trimester

Jane looked at her surrounding. The living room was neat, full of brand new furniture that she had bought for a third party. She didn't know how it felt like to sit down on that couch at night to watch television. She had no idea how many books could hold on these shelves. The mattress in the bedroom was foreign to her body. She didn't recognize any smell. Yet she knew the walls, just as she knew every corner of the apartment. The sun pierced through the kitchen windows in the morning and the sound of the rain seemed louder in the bedroom.

She loved this place, she would always do. She simply needed to turn the page.

"Maura and I bought you a plant." Jane held out the small plant she was carrying to the young woman who was standing in front of her. "Maura chose it, actually. I don't know much about these things. I hope you'll like it. It's a. Damn, I have no idea what it is. You have to water it once a week and it enjoys being in the sun."

"Wow, that's really nice of you." The woman grabbed the plant. She flashed Jane a bright smile. "I love plants. Thank you very much. May I ask who Maura is?"

Jane laughed lightly. She hadn't sold her Back Bay apartment but today was the day she moved out of it. She would simply rent it to Barbara - a young biologist - who was now standing in front of her and would move to Beacon Hill in order to be closer to Maura.

On a full-time basis.

Maura had just hit her third trimester and Jane had taken such decision very easily. As a matter of fact, she had wanted it even before talking about it to Maura. It made sense. A lot of sense. Beacon Hill was where she had to be. Everything had been settled within a week. It couldn't have gone any faster, actually.

"Of course! I'm sorry I didn't mention her earlier." Jane ran her tongue over her lips. She could feel how her heart was pounding loudly against her chest but it didn't scare her the slightest bit. "Maura is my partner."

It felt right. The words slid on Jane's lips with a sweet evidence. It was the first time that she openly said it to someone but the truth was that she was simply ready to assume the situation. She had looked at her reflection in the mirror of the bathroom earlier in the morning and she had realized that something had changed. As a matter of fact, something had changed since the lunch she had shared with Constance two weeks earlier. Maura's mother had helped her make a big step forward. Indirectly.

"Oh! Congratulations, then! Wait..." Barbara tilted her head and she squinted her eyes as something hit her mind. "Is it the woman who's pregnant? You're going to have a child? The two of you? I thought she was a friend, or a relative. I'm sorry!"

It was strange to speak about Maura's pregnancy from this perspective because nobody had mentioned it that way before but Jane had to admit that Barbara was right. Or at least to an extent. She would consider Maura's child as her own one; no matter what.

Things were simply a bit less explicit in real life.

"Yes. She's due in February so I guess it's time for us to start living together now."

It may have seemed to be rushed but Jane honestly thought it was how things had to go. She and Maura had begun to sleep together only two months and a half earlier but their relationship didn't look like any other one. Perhaps the strong friendship they had shared before had something to do with it. Neither of them really knew. But they could feel it.

The baby simply strengthened their decision.

Do you love her? Are you in love with my daughter?

A delicate smile had played on Jane's lips when Constance had asked her about her feelings for Maura. Jane hadn't hesitated before replying. At peace with herself, she had simply looked into Constance's eyes with self-confidence.