A Kingdom Torn

Hello Everyone :) This is a book made of many short stories I have made in 2 years. For every chapter there's a new story... There may be a short story or a long one. Each story has neither a beginning or a end. I hope everyone enjoy

1. A Kingdom Torn

The kingdom of Ha'dana had known peace and prosperity for a hundred years.

Its people flourished under the guidance of King Valcan and his ancestors, successful in business, leisure, and science.

But behind the veil of plenty and joy, a rebellion stirred.

In secret meetings hidden away in the dark corners of the kingdom, a small group of powerful, discontented nobles discussed how to topple their sovereign ruler and replace him with one of their own.

The simmering cauldron of insurrection boiled to a rapid boil, and soon a plan to usurp the throne was devised.

The group's leader, the ambitious Duke Erron, rallied his cohorts and had them spread word of the impending coup throughout Ha'dana.

When the night of the planned rebellion finally came, the conspirators moved out from their hiding places and headed for the main city.

Armed with swords, shields, and a fiery determination, the loyalists attacked the royal palace, intent on overthrowing the king and taking his crown.

But the King and his loyal knights had been warned of their plot and were prepared for their coming.

A great battle raged through the night, and when the stars disappeared from the sky, the rebellion had been quelled.

Though victory belonged to the loyalists, the kingdom had been torn in two.

The nobles were driven out of the palace and forbidden to return, while King Valcan lay dying in his chambers.

With his last breaths, he spoke a proclamation that would forever decide the fate of his beloved kingdom.

"There will be a tournament to decide who shall be the King of Ha'dana," he declared. "The man who proves the strongest and most skilled will rule this land."