Chapter 1

VERITY

The year before

My eyes were closed as the water washed over my head and washed everything that had happened tonight.

Anger surged through me over the last few week's events.

All the pain that I went through was all because of someone who was supposed to be my soulmate. He even put me in the hospital because of the amount of pain I was in. I hated him with every fiber I had. He hurt me and even broke my heart over and over with what he was doing.

All my family wants to know who he is, but I still haven't told them. Hearing more about their kind, my lips are sealed. Everyone wants his head, but they will have to get in line as I am the first one to kill him, whether he is an alpha.

After last week, something needed to be done; I was sent to the hospital and nearly died twice because of the pain he put me through.

After a day of rest, I felt normal. Sandy was with me when we came up with the plan, and I went through with it last night.

Sandy made the observation that if I can feel him being with someone else, then it should work the other way around. So, the plan was to go out for the night and hook up with some guy.

Bow and Peggy offered to have Brody for me and even told me to have some fun. Part of me thought Sandy told them our plan, especially Peggy, who was eager for me to wear something that looked like it was made to be worn as a belt.

Sandy and I went two towns over from where we were staying, so if there were any issues, the others would be safe and could take off with Brody. We had a plan in place, and as long as Brody was safe, I didn't care.

We found a bar that looked like a shifter paradise with everything known to man. Grabbing a few drinks, Sandy and I went to the corner and searched for a man for me to hook up with.

I felt sick, knowing that another man would touch me. But this was my only option; my so-called mate needed a lesson that what he came with a price. I want him to know another man had his hands on what was supposed to be his, and it was all his fault.

After a few hours, there was no one who stood out. So, Sandy and I left, but before we did, I had to visit the little ladies' room. Sandy went outside to wait for me.

On my way back, I bumped into a man who caught me, sniffed in my scent, and growled that he wanted me and that he would make my night worthwhile.

The guy didn't seem bad; he was good-looking, but that could have been the beer goggles I had on because even the bar owner looked good toward the end of the night. He was an old pervert who tried it on with me when I walked into the bar at the start of the night, but I dodged him whenever I saw him.

I nearly had second thoughts about going with the good-looking guy until an image of the reason came to my mind why I was at the bar. I gave him the most flirtatious smile I could muster and followed him to his motel room.

While on the way, I messaged Sandy where I was and that I found someone. I gave her the details of where I was and that I would contact her to come to collect me. I didn't tell her anything about the guy, but all I knew he was a werewolf, as his eyes changed yellow when he saw me.

My eyes opened as I stared at the tiles. I grabbed what shower gel was on the side, which was clearly the man's, and washed my body to get every part of last night from me. I didn't want his scent on me.

Images invaded my mind of what went down last night. The guy had me in all positions and even fucked me against the door. No names were given; I didn't want to remember or seek him out after this. This was a one-time thing to prove to that mate of mine that it works both ways—I hoped that this worked and that it made him realize he hurt me. I don't want to go near another man again. I was done with them.