Chapter 30-Second Chance

Heart practically beating out of her chest.

What? Alice replied to the sudden news.

Since when? FP asked.

Looking here, you're able three months along. He claimed. It would explain you being unconscious when you were brought in. Right now, are you feeling dizzy? He wondered.

Right now, I feel like I'm about to have a heart attack. How can I be pregnant? I'm 42. Is that even safe. She wondered.

After tonight, is the baby even okay? FP asked.

First things first. He put them on hold briefly as he looked over her clipboard full of information. The baby is going to be just fine. As I said, your heart rate was slow, but with the correct nutrients being provided in the IV, things will be okay. As well as the oxygen; your lungs were working really hard between trying to produce enough air for the baby and for yourself, it's why you may experience dizziness the next few days.

FP looked back at her and her at him for the simple situation they were going through.

As for your questions, Ms. Smith, you're in perfect health as you have always been, your age really has nothing to do with it as you have always worked out and eaten healthy. It would do well for you to be on bedrest for the next while, however.

Alice slinked down into the bed, the thought of bearing another child in her womb pressing her mind in an uneasy way.

If there isn't anything more I could do for you guys, I'll be at the front desk. The doctor excused himself.

So... FP lingered as he got closer, not even sure of how she was processing the information. Now, how are you feeling? He wondered.

My biggest question is how could I not know or even feel this? He explained quite passionately. I've had three children before this and each time I knew... I've always been very in sync with my body and I know these types of things right away. Did Edgar really mess with my head that bad that I couldn't feel normal stuff?

Al, don't beat yourself up. He put his hand over hers. At least we know now.

Because of the stupid baptism; I could have put yet another child in danger. She sighed. How do I even have children? How did I manage to keep Betty and Polly alive? She brought her knees up to her chest and she immediately cramped in the lower abdomen. Ouch. She sighed once more. That explains that pain.

What pain?

I've been getting really bad camps in my lower stomach and I thought it was from lack of stretching. She nearly growled of herself. I'm so stupid.

Stop talking like that, Alice, you're not stupid. You're one of the smartest people I know. Just because you didn't know something like this, it doesn't make you stupid.

I marvel in your confidence of me... and I love you endlessly, but can you send Betty in here please?

You mad at me now? He wondered.

No, but I need my daughter.

Okay. He got up and did as asked for the sake of her.

Once he walked out, she was left alone and she let out a big breath of air.

Another baby... I hope you don't think I'm a whack job. Alice let's her head drop into her hand as she rubbed her stomach with the other.

Moments later, Betty came in with a smile. You seem really awake.

Well, yeah. Now I can't really sleep. She smiled, scooting over for her daughter to have a seat on the edge of the bed. Elizabeth, I want to tell you something that I learned within the last twenty minutes of my stay here...