The Elephant in the Room

The window was open, and the wind was incredible. The clouds were dark, but it was not sunset, and the darkness enveloped the world. Leaves danced in the wind, and rain came as a drizzle. Everything was wet but not clean. Jen looked at the food, but the chair across from her was empty with a plate set. She looked at her cell phone and the papers next to it. No one called, and Jen had finished cooking dinner an hour ago. The clock struck seven, but silence filled the room. Time was still, and Jen looked old in the mirror next to her. Her blond hair seemed gray, but she was 27. Her looks had faded in the last day, and her eyes had changed from blue to gray.

The street was empty below, and Jen's car arrived with a cracked windshield. Rick got up and walked to his upstairs apartment next door and fumbled for his key. Jen heard rustling, and the door opened, then silence. Jen heard Rick's door open again, and then he opened Jen's door but didn't say anything. Rick's shirt had a tear, and blood was on his collar. His face stumbled, and he had a cut across his nose, "I failed."

"At what?"

Rick looked confused at the cold food. "Too many police were there; I couldn't get out and cross the police line."

"So now what?"

"We wait?"

"Have you lost your mind? The police aren't stupid, and besides, they always search for witnesses."

"I know. And will you keep your voice down?" Rick got up and closed the window, but it was still cold inside.

"You never have answers." Rick turned, returned to the table, and reluctantly sat down.

Rick started to say something, but Jen said, "They will find us."

"Likely in the next couple of days, but I have a plan."

"Shut up."

"I can," but before Rick could finish, Jen folded her arms and looked away, so Rick was silent.

"Do you think that old lady talked?"

"Her car was not there when I passed by. So I waited for her at her work. When she left work, I followed her. Then I rear-ended her for a fake accident on an empty road."

"That's why my car window cracked?"

"Yes."

"So what did you do with her?"

"She is in the trunk."

Jen slumped, "Alive?"

"I am waiting for night. I'll take her to the river."

Jen took a deep breath and sighed.

"I won't go to Mexico."

Rick lost his appetite, "It's only a matter of time before they find me, and," Rick paused, "you as well."

"Do you think?"

"What will you do?"

"Shut up. If you say one more word, I will scream!"

Rick started to talk, but Jen went rigid and leaned forward. Silence filled the room for an eternity.

Rick looked at the papers next to Jen and started to cry.