026, 𝐟𝐞𝐚𝐫

DEAR, EX

"no."

scarlett immediately replies to nick, keeping her phone in place by holding it in between her shoulder and ear. she closes the washing machine and turns it on, the rumbling and swishing of it beginning.

just two months ago, scarlett found herself throwing boxes of chase's things outside of the apartment they bought together and yelling at him to leave. he begged her to stay, apologizing, but she slammed the door in his face.

so for the past seven weeks, scarlett had been living alone in the apartment.

"come on, scarlett." nick pleads over the phone. "just once."

scarlett opens the dryer, pulling out the freshly washed clothes and putting them into a laundry basket. "your videos are the reason all of this happened." scarlett pulls the phone away from her ear, putting nick on speaker.

"it was ten months ago, scar." matt buds in, and scarlett furrows her eyebrows at the sound of his voice. "chris is over it—"

"chris being over what he did is funny." scarlett rolls her eyes as she interrupts him, causing nick to sigh.

"scarlett." nick says.

scarlett purses her lips together, letting out her own sigh. she places the laundry basket on her bed and pulls out a t-shirt, beginning to fold it.

if mom was here, scarlett thinks, her and sky would be begging me to hang up. and to say no.

but of course, scarlett squeezes her eyes shut, then rests them.

"okay." scarlett folds another shirt. "what time?"

"scarlett!" jade exclaims, taking her drifted friend into her arms. "how long has it been?"

scarlett forces a smile at the statement. "ten months."

"i've missed you. please tell me that you're done with chase." jade tilts her head with hope, not wanting to effect a touchy subject.

scarlett expresses a real smile this time, letting out a subtle laugh. "kicked him out in august."

jade furrows her eyebrows. "so you're living on your own now?"

liam squeals, running out of a bathroom. "yay, scarlett! i'm so happy for you. he was so annoying." liam spreads his arms.

"yeah, okay." scarlett laughs, taking in liam for a hug. nick and matt finally come downstairs, welcoming scarlett in fully.

"where's chris?" jade asks, and as she says it, chris turns the corner and walks into the kitchen.

he looks up as he walks, then immediately freezes. scarlett feels her heart speed up, scared of what he'll say. or do.