you're my best friend - chapter 13

"I swear to God, Maisy. If you aren't here in the next five minutes, I'm going to take this bouquet and shove it so far up your a-" Jess was cut off by our phone call dropping. I groaned, trying to hold my phone up higher to get the GPS to come back up.

I still have no idea why they thought it would be smart to have their wedding in November, in the middle of the mountains, in Colorado. Why couldn't they just use a church that was in town, I'll never know.

I had been driving for at least an hour. I was having to pull over once my signal came back so I could look ahead on the map. After another half hour, I finally made it to the wedding venue. Troy was supposed to have Jeff bring him later, but I wasn't sure if they'd make it.

Snowflakes fluttered down, sprinkling themselves on my hair as I hurried to find Jess. I rushed past other wedding guests and tried my best to not slip and slide on the puddles on the floors.

"So glad you could grace us with your presence. We have to start in an hour," Jess grumbled as she saw me walk in.

"I'm sorry, my GPS kept losing service. You look beautiful, Jess," I smiled and wrapped her into a tight hug. She had on a beautifully form fitted wedding gown, her hair curled and pinned up into a bun.

"You look good too. I'm glad you got as ready as you could before you came. Now c'mon, let's retouch your hair and makeup. I don't want you looking like a mess while I'm saying my vows."

❄❄❄

"I thought Troy was coming?" Jess said through a mouth full of food.

"Yeah, Jeff was going to bring him. He probably just hasn't texted me back yet because of spotty service. I'll be surprised if they show up now, especially with all of the snow," I pushed my food around my plate, not wanting to eat.

The only reason he didn't ride with me was because I had to leave early. I didn't want to inconvenience him, but now I'm alone at my best friend's wedding.

Don't get me wrong – I'm thrilled to be here. I get to celebrate the happiest day of my best friend's life. I just wish I had Troy here to celebrate with me.

"He's not coming," a familiar voice said, pulling a chair up by me. I looked over to see Connor.

"Shut up, Connor. Go do something else," I groaned.

"I will not make a single romantic move on you. But I think it would be a shame if you didn't dance with someone tonight. You never know when you'll have another chance to dance with me," he joked.

I looked over at Jess, my eyes pleading with her for a reason to say no. She paused for a moment before shrugging and saying, "I say go for it. You should go have fun."

"You heard the bride. It's her day. She gets what she wants," Connor stood up and reached his hand out for me. I sighed as I took his hand and followed him to the dance floor.

We awkwardly swayed back and forth to whatever love song was playing, neither of us looking at each other. The way his hand felt on my waist made my skin crawl, but I knew that I needed to at least finish this dance.

"I'm sorry, by the way. For everything that happened at the Halloween party. And for being such a dick afterwards. It wasn't your fault," he looked down at our feet.

"Thanks, Connor. I'm sorry it got out of hand," I mumbled.

"Appreciate it, boss. I bet Troy will show up, too. Just wait. I know I wouldn't miss the opportunity to dance with you," he teased, twirling me around.

"Thanks," I laughed. Once the song had finished, instead of sitting down, I ended up spending some more time with Connor. He stayed true to his word, not making a move on me the entire time.