The Real Draco

Harry

Why did McGonagall have to send me to be in a safe house alone with Draco Malfoy, Dumbledore's would be killer? I had expected Draco to object and come kicking and screaming, but he just seemed, empty. Dumbledore had told me to grab Draco and run, before Snape and the other Death Eaters had gotten there, and because of that stupid promise I had made Dumbledore, I had obeyed. Draco had been shaking when he was standing in front of Dumbledore, he looked like he was having a mental battle with himself, and I'm not sure what he was thinking.

I had looked into his cold grey eyes, and I saw... nothing. He looked lost, as if he had no idea who he was or what was going on. With Draco looking so lost, no longer the sneering, vain bully I had known, I found it harder to hate him. I still did though. Though he did not do it himself, he was instrumental in Dumbledore's death.

I pull my thoughts back to the present, trying hard not to think of the horrible events of that night. The safe house we were brought to really wasn't that bad. It seemed like one of those "cottages" posh people owned that were really just mansions. Apparently it belonged to a member of the order who was a muggleborn from a very rich family. It really was great to use, because nobody would be looking for them in a rich muggle's country home.

We had been there for five days, and I had only seen Draco when he walked past me to the kitchen with his nose in a book. I don't understand how someone could read so much without going insane. For now, we were both ignoring each other, which was easy to do, due to the hugeness of the house. I know it won't last though, we'll have to talk to each other at some point.

After another day of avoiding each other, I get fed up, and go to the living room, where I know Draco will be reading. I want to get this over with. I hadn't seen Draco for more than 5 seconds since they arrived at the safe house, but what I see shocks me slightly. Draco Malfoy, who always had his hair slicked back, and robes spotless, was wearing a hoodie and jeans, with nothing done to his hair. After I had collected my thoughts, I walked toward Draco.

"Draco."

"Yes?" Draco said, looking up from his book.

"This is getting frustrating, and I wanted to get this awkwardness over with." Draco nodded, signalling me to go on, "It's pointless for us to be enemies any more. I saw you on that tower, you didn't want to kill Dumbledore, you were forced into this. Dumbledore thought you were worth a second chance, so I'm going to give you one."

"Thank you." Draco said, seeming surprised that I had given him a second chance. I hold out my hand, and we shake.

"Don't screw it up." I say.

"I won't."

"That's for me to decide."

"Fair enough."

"I'm going to go find something to eat."

Draco

After Harry left, I sit in my chair for a bit, stunned. Harry Potter had given me a second chance. We had struck a truce, who would have ever thought? I turn back to my book, I've done a lot of reading since getting here, the library is full of muggle novels, which I quite enjoy. I'm reading a trilogy called "Lord of the Rings" currently, and it's really good, though their idea of magic is quite inaccurate.

We both sit down for a rather awkward dinner a while later, and I'm surprised to find that Harry's cooking skills are actually quite decent, maybe even good.

"This is actually not awful; how did you learn to cook?" I ask, an attempt a conversation.

Harry paused for a moment before telling me about his life with the Dursleys, his aunt and uncle. They had kept Harry in a cupboard? That sounded utterly ridiculous. It dawned on me that Harry might be playing a trick on me. I squint at Harry, and I think he's being serious. Harry is always easy to read; his emotions show clearly in his expression.