027, 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭

DEAR, EX

"sky, shut up!" scarlett shouts, slapping her arm

sky laughs, pushing scarlett, who gasps. her heart drops as her ladder wobbles, nearly falling to the ground.

"i hate you." scarlett mumbles, causing her sister to laugh a bit.

"scarlett!" nick exclaims from below, waving his arms in the air until scarlett looks down at him. "here are the lights!"

he throws them up, and scarlett catches them.

"so," sky says, pinning the lights to the top of frame. "what are you gonna be?"

"i don't know," scarlett smiles, also doing the lights. "it's in a week, so i'll probably just get what's left at party city then go trick-or-treating."

sky furrows her eyebrows. "you're going trick-or-treating?"

"yeah?" scarlett replies. "i always do, i'm going with the triplets and liam and jade."

"you guys are eighteen." sky deadpans.

"okay, and i could pass as a sixteen year olds." scarlett shrugs. "plus, you're not too old to trick-or-treat until you have kids."

"that is just not true. i'm twenty, and i don't do it."

"that's because you're lame."

sky shrugs, then pauses. "scarlett, why didn't you go to college? i thought you wanted to be a teacher or something."

scarlett laughs. "i had the teacher dream for a month, in ninth grade. i wanna be an author. and i will go to college, i'm just taking a gap year."

"where do you wanna go?"

"columbia. my GPA checks, just need a sob story." she jokes.

"you don't need anything. you need like— a 3.5 GPA for that school, and i'm sure you're fine."

"3.2," scarlett corrects her. "and i'm 3.8."

sky hums. "how's you and chris?"

a few months ago, when chase and scarlett broke up, she called sky. she told her everything. how after the break up, she had some school identity crisis and then a chris-crisis.

"we're doing good. i mean, we're not dating again or anything, but he's been telling his friends we're talking, so i guess that's a good sign."

before sky can reply, chris calls out to scarlett. "hey, you're getting a call!" he looks at her phone, which is vibrating on a table in the garage.

"who is it?" scarlett calls back to him, keeping her eyes focused on the halloween decorations.

chris picks up her phone, looking at the caller. he says nothing.

"chris?" she finally turns to him from the ladder, and he looks up from the garage. "who is it?"

"oh, it's jade. i'll see what she wants."

"okay!" scarlett says, and chris walks into her house.

an hour later, the sun is setting and the decorations are done. scarlett looks to the table where her phone was, and it's gone.

"chris?" she looks over to chris, who's talking to liam and jade.

he stops talking, turning to her. "yeah?"

"where's my phone?"

"oh, it's on the kitchen counter." he tells her, deciding to follow her while she thanks him and goes into the house. "so, i heard you and sky talking about colleges. columbia university?"

"yep," she smiles at him and picks up her phone, typing in the password. the first thing that's open is the phone app.

chris looks down at the screen, pursing his lips together.

she freezes, staring at the most recent call from an hour ago. "chris, you called chase?" she furrows her eyebrows and looks up at him.

"scarlett—"

"jade didn't even call me, are you serious? why would you call him?"

"i didn't call him scarlett, he called you."

"and you told me it was jade."

"i—" he tries to come up with something to say, running his hand through his hair. "scarlett..."

"you're never gonna trust me." she breathes out, the words settling in as she says them. "my ex, that i kicked out, calls me. and instead of at least hanging up on him you lied to me and picked up the phone. i mean, what did you even say?"

he lets a sigh out. "he, uh, called and asked for his stuff back. i told him it wouldn't be a problem, and he got all pissy that you were with a 'fucking sturniolo'."

scarlett stares at him, then scoffs. "you had no right, chris."

"scarlett—"

"no. you don't trust me, and if anything were to happen with us again, there needs to be—"

"trust?" chris scoffs, then lets out a disbelief laugh. "why should i trust you? after what you put me through, what you put us through—"

"in case you forgot, you broke up with me. remember?" scarlett says.

"you got back with chase."

"chase is gone."

"and yet he called you today."

"i don't fucking know why chase called me, chris." scarlett snaps. "him calling me doesn't excuse what you did. he's gonna be mad."

"why does it matter to you if he's mad, scarlett?" chris exclaims, furrowing his eyebrows.

"because he's fucking crazy, chris! he's probably on his way, ready to attack me!"

"and i will protect you."

"that's the thing with you, chris," scarlett's voice lightly broke as she spoke. "you love me enough to protect me, but you don't love me enough to be with me."

chris stares at her, not responding. the two sit in silence for just a short pause before he replies. "who ever said i loved you?"

his words shot through her like a bullet. she expected the usual, a form of regret or i didn't really mean that i just said it to say it to form as an expression, but his stare turned cold.

she felt tears prick at her eyes, and she couldn't tell if they were from sadness or anger, maybe both. she turned around and left her own house.

she didn't hear a scarlett, wait. she didn't feel someone approach her, didn't hear any footsteps.

she slammed the door to go outside, and all she hears is chris saying fuck in a stressed tone.

she looks up and blinks back the tears, then puts on a smile to take pictures of her new decorations in front of her friends and sister.

sky leans over to her sister's ear in a whisper. "we all heard the screaming. like, everything. we went silent to listen. sorry for eavesdropping, but woah."

scarlett closes her eyes and lets out a sigh. "i thought he loved me."

"he does, scarlett."

💋

angst is back :/