Chapter 1

Being hated sucks.

It's like no matter what you do to appease others, it always comes back to bite you. The awful little rain cloud that chases away the sun. The scribbles on your canvas in a thick, permanent marker. A big 'screw you' from the world.

What's worse? Accepting that there's really no one out there who'll ever truly be on your side. To lose trust in everyone else. Because instead, you know deep inside that in the world, they're ready to kick you to the dirt, spit on you and make sure you never live without watching your back.

I unfurled my back, wincing as I stretched my limbs. They really did a number on me this time. It's going to be hard to find any skin on my back that isn't bruised tomorrow.

With shaking legs, I rose to my feet, bracing the tree. My bags and notes were scattered everywhere - most of them were definitely lost by now - and my phone was (thankfully) still in my pocket, albeit a little cracked.

I pressed the on button and sure enough, the screen lit up.

Good enough.

One by one, I painstakingly gathered each sheet (except for a few that had fallen into the little stream and were beyond saving) and stuffed them into my now badly damaged bag.

I was going to have to stitch that back up when I got home. There was so much stuff that I had to replace or fix.

My pocket buzzed.

Dad.

"Hello?" I asked into the phone nonchalantly.

"Hi Angelica!" I grimaced.

"I'm not Angelica." I folded one of my arms and clenched my teeth.

"Oh, sorry Ember. Think I dialled the wrong number." Of course. As expected. I ran my free hand through my hair, thoroughly annoyed with the situation already. And he only just said hi!

"Anyway, while I've got you on the phone, can you buy some more chalk and a couple of groceries for the sides today?" He commanded. I could hear the banging of the spoon against the iron pots in the background.

"Thanks. I'll send you the list." The phone disconnected.

I growled.

I didn't have a single penny on me, and my card was at home. He didn't even have the decency to ask if I had enough, or how I was doing, or even if I was okay. Great.

My chest burned.

I phoned back angrily, and took a few deep breaths.

"Hello? Ember?"

"I don't have any cash on me. Card's at home too." I gritted my teeth, roughly running my hand through my hair.

He cursed, "Next time, take some. I'll get them for now - It'll be quicker for me to go and grab them. Just head on home."

Disconnected again. Not even a goodbye, or asking if I want to be picked up. Rude.

I clenched my phone. I screamed, loud and clear into the air. The birds fluttered away, squawking and shrieking.

The winds and the susurration of the amber and yellow leaves alone were even more deafening to hear.

Maybe if I try explaining to him again, he'll come around.

Maybe if I ask for help, he'll stay by my side.

I looked down at my shoes and clenched my hand harder. Another crack form on my phone.

I was so utterly stupid. No one is worth trusting in that house. Not even myself, and my traitorous heart.

With a huge swing, I slang my bag over my shoulders and headed home.