o n e

───── ⋆⋅🤟🏼⋅⋆ ─────

There was a heaviness to her limbs that she hadn't ever experienced before. It tried to pull her back into the warm embrace of sleep, but every time she took a breath there was a sharp pain in her chest that brought her back. 

Giving in, she slowly opened her eyes and blinked against the darkness of the room. Light filtered in through a window but the curtains were drawn shut so it was still pretty dark. 

Her fingers were linked with a young redhead woman's. She didn't recognise her, but she didn't remove my hand in fear of waking her. She did look awfully tired. 

Blinking again to force her eyes to adjust, she looked at the woman more closely. She didn't look to be particularly comfortable, her head resting on the bed in front of her but the rest of her body on a plastic chair. Surely leaning over like that would really hurt her back?

She looked around again, but didn't recognise the room she was in. She didn't think it was her own as she would never have bought such scratchy sheets for her own bed. 

Her gaze continued to wander sleepily over the room, trying not to get distracted this time, noting that there was an older male asleep in another plastic chair. There was a younger brunette boy next to him, leaning on the older male's shoulder as he slept. 

She didn't recognise them either, but they were sleeping so she didn't want to wake them.

Her mind wandered to the soreness of her throat and the ache of her ribs. Her head hurt a lot, forcing her to close her eyes. Just for a moment. 

She was asleep within minutes. 

She dreamt of water.

───── ⋆⋅🤟🏼⋅⋆ ─────

When she next woke up, the redhead woman from before was also awake. Their eyes connected and the redhead woman was smiling, but it looked sad. She didn't want the redhead woman to be sad. 

She was aware of the dryness of her throat again, glancing around the room for something. The redhead stood and reached for a glass of water. 

Flinching back against the pillows of the hospital bed, she shook her head firmly. Her throat hurt too much to talk, but she knew she didn't want water. She could still taste it in her mouth, in her lungs... She never wanted to taste it again.

The redhead woman nodded slowly, placing the glass back down. She hesitated for a moment before leaving the room, presumably to find something else for her to drink. 

But she was asleep when the redhead woman got back. Dreaming of icy water that filled her lungs and choked her. 

The next time she woke up, everyone in the room is awake. There was the young brunette boy from before, but the older man was not there. The young boy was talking to the nice redhead lady. 

Shifting in her bed, she whimpered as the movement reignited the pain in her ribs.

The redhead woman stood and exited the room, returning with a nurse. Oh, she was in a hospital then. 

The lady in scrubs was holding a pitcher and she could feel herself hoping that it didn't contain water. When a cup was passed to her, she was relieved to see it appeared to contain apple juice.

She gulped it down quickly, ignoring the burn in her throat and ribs. Extending her hand, the nurse understood that she would like more.

"Elena..." The young brunette boy spoke, his voice filled with relief.

The girl in the hospital bed continued to drink her juice, waiting for someone to answer him. She looked up when no one said anything and frowned when she realised he was looking at her.

Clearing her throat, her voice quiet and strained from disuse, she asked, "W-who?"

───── ⋆⋅🤟🏼⋅⋆ ─────

izziaa speaks!

hii, welcome to another plot that wouldn't leave me alone until i wrote it. do i have other fics to be writing? yes. do i still want to write this one anyway? also yes.

so as some of you may have seen, i posted a message on my conversation board about this idea. my original plan was to re-write elena gilbert as an oc rather than introduce a twin, and you guys were super supportive about the idea so here we are! 

the main events of canon are going to stay the same, but i am making some changes to fit the plot ideas i have. hopefully you guys like the changes! if you don't, it's okay. there's plenty of fanfiction out there ready to be read!