Lake Abyss Pt. 1

It was a full moon, and over at the lakeside of Lake Abyss was a bonfire with a party of high school teens partying as it was the last few days of summer break. Multiple teens could be seen around the bonfire doing tricks and trying to see if some could jump over it. Others were drinking or playing some form of drinking game, such as drinking from a keg, or the mad game of swig or take a dip. Then there were the stoners, those by the bank of the lake smoking weed and chatting about god knows what. But away from everyone way down on the docks were two people, GENEVIEVE and ZACH.

GENEVIEVE: So, what do you think?

ZACH: About?

GENEVIEVE: You know, this town, good ol Cave Creek.

ZACH: Ha, I don't know it sure is different.

GENEVIEVE: Yeah, you don't even know half of it.

ZACH: What, you going to tell me that there are vampires that live in this town?

GENEVIEVE: What, no what do you mean? There aren't any vampires.

ZACH: Just the way your acting, It's as if there's some secret to Cave Creek.

GENEVIEVE: Well...

ZACH: What, don't tell me there might actually be some secret?

GENEVIEVE: I don't know Zach, I don't think I should have brought it up.

ZACH: Brought it up? Brought what up?

GENEVIEVE: Listen, something is going to happen tonight. Depending on what happens, it will decide the events of cave creek this year.

ZACH: What do you mean? Hey, Genevieve, you're starting to scare me what's going on?

GENEVIEVE: Listen, last year at the same party, there was like a major fight alright.

ZACH: Alright, a bunch of drunk highschoolers getting drunk and fighting what's so weird about that-

GENEVIEVE: That's the thing, Zach! You would think that it was normal, but that fight ended in one kid's death.

ZACH: Well, shit I- I'm sorry to hear about that, that must have sucked for the family-

GENEVIEVE: Yeah, it sucked. But the thing is from that point onward, every month there was some sort of fight that happened at this lake.

ZACH: Shit really? Well, why didn't people just try to hold an intervention or some shit-

GENEVIEVE: Trust me the adults tried. It's just that it ended in a bloodbath. They were talking about how there shouldn't be fights, and during the speech, someone snapped.

ZACH: Snapped? Maybe there was something more-

GENEVIEVE: No Zach, the person who did it, I have never seen them act that way-

ZACH: Were you close to them?

GENEVIEVE: What? Why does that matter, I'm just trying to explain how-

ZACH: It's just if you were close to the person. Maybe you have unwanted business or lingering attachments. You know my dads a psychiatrist-

GENEVIEVE: I don't need a shrink, Zach.

ZACH: What? That's not what I was saying

GENEVIEVE: you meant something Zach, people don't just mention a psychiatrist. Like people only bring that up if they think people are crazy. So clearly you think I'm crazy-

ZACH: Genevieve, I never said that.

GENEVIEVE: But you're implying it. The way you're looking at me now and the way you were speaking. You may not say I am crazy but you're thinking it, and hoping I will figure out the same thing-

ZACH: Genevieve, I am not saying that you're crazy-

A scream sounded throughout the forest as another one followed and soon it seemed like it was a chorus of screams. Where the party was happening screams, flashes of bright light and sounds of a bottle smashing. Soon a person was running toward where Zach and Genevieve were.

???: RUN RUN! RUN-

The person fell to the floor as a blinding light flashed. There behind the person was no one. ZACH stood there frozen however was jolted around as GENEVIEVE grabbed him and was practically dragging him away from the scene.

GENEVIEVE: Zach come on!

ZACH: W-What the fuck was that!

GENEVIEVE: Shut the fuck up! Just run!

The two continued to run through the woods, as the sound of the chaos and calamity seemed to get further away. When they seemed to be far enough GENEVIEVE took them behind a boulder formation to hide. GENEVIEVE made a shush motion and then they crawled into the formation.

ZACH: What- What the fuck was that.

GENEVIEVE: I don't know, I- I just told you wack shit happens and it all starts at this lake.

ZACH: We have to get out of here.

GENEVIEVE: If we keep moving around there's a higher chance of whatever that was- finding us. It's best we stay here.

ZACH: But what if it does find us what if it just knows where we-

GENEVIEVE: Shush-

Two pairs of footsteps could be heard, however, there was no one in sight for GENEVIEVE and ZACH to see. Soon the footsteps came to a stop.

RANDOM 1: Do you know where the last one went?

RANDOM 2: No we weren't able to find her.

RANDOM 1: Well, fuck I guess we could always catch her at the next event-

RANDOM 2: That's the thing, we keep saying that we will get her. Somehow that little rat keeps escaping-

RANDOM 1: Don't worry she won't be able to run forever, her time will come just like the rest of them.

RANDOM 2: I guess you're right-

RANDOM 1: I am always right, what do you mean?

RANDOM 2: Don't get so cocky, alright should we head back?

RANDOM 1: Yeah cover up everything I guess.

RANDOM 2: Indeed, I am glad this little project is in the final stretch.

Soon the footsteps were back again but this time getting further from the two in the boulder. (Beat.)

ZACH: We will stay here for a bit alright. Hey, you ok Gen?

GENEVIEVE: Yeah. I'm fine.