Stars

Many years ago, during a forgotten time, there was once a boy and a girl who were completely different from each other. The boy, Vincent, had blue eyes, blonde hair, and fair white skin. The girl, Morrigan, had dark everything. Dark brown eyes that look like an abyss. Dark black, crow-like long hair. Beautiful and proud dark brown skin that was passed down from her Latin ancestors. Vincent and Morrigan may have been born in the same town and grew up together, but they have nothing in common. Vincent was the boy with all the friends, good grades, and the perfect life. He is the boy who has everything. Morrigan is the girl who is grateful to be left alone to read. She is the girl who gets bullied and teased for her macabre personality. A girl who chooses to be reserved around her peers. She figures, why should she fill her life with woe by interacting with people who will never accept her? She figures high school was hard enough. While Vincent was never a bully, he was never the type to step in and be the savior. These two people are completely different and were never friends, and yet their story is like no other that has ever been told.

A dark beautiful Friday night comes one night while Vincent is jogging. The quiet of the night soothes him as he is running. Most people are in their homes, relaxing by the time the sun comes down. For a boy who is always given the attention he could ever need, he enjoys not being seen. Hiding away in the shadows of the night with the Moon being his only light in sight to guide him to where he needs to be. To his surprise, his route has led him to the mysterious Morrigan, sitting alone in the park and looking up at the stars in the sky. Intrigued and curious, he jogs up to her and sits close to her. Not too close to make things uncomfortable or awkward, but close enough to learn how alluring she genuinely is. The moonlight shows Vincent something he's never seen before in Morrigan; peace. She knows that he is right there next to her. She doesn't mind the company. Until he starts talking.

"What are you doing out here this late?"

"I can ask you the same question," she replies in a nonchalant manner. "But I really don't care."

Morrigan never breaks eye contact from the sky while Vincent thinks to himself that their first conversation ever isn't going well. He was about to get up and leave her alone, but something deep inside his subconscious told him to try to make conversation with her one last time. A choice that he will never regret.

"You like looking at the stars, huh?"

"Yup."

In her mind, Morrigan wishes that he would leave her alone. Until he said something stupid that caught her attention. That was the moment, a moment she didn't realize at first, that she didn't want to be alone anymore.

"You don't seem like the stargazing type."

She breaks her gaze from the sky and looks straight at him, into his eyes.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" she asked.

Vincent scrambles to find the right words without offending more.

"I'm sorry! I just mean that you kinda like the gothic stuff. Nothing wrong with that by the way, it's just that more," Morrigan looks at him with fury in her eyes as he tries to find the right way of ending his sentence without looking like a typical dumb jock. "Girly girls, who like wearing pink skirts and high heels, are more into stargazing and bright pretty things. You know? It's more romantic, I guess."

Pink skirts and high heels. That killed the fire in Morrigan's eyes and made her smile; just a little smile though. But it wasn't small enough that Vincent couldn't see and helped him relax. He has never seen her smile before. It was a cute little smile he thought. He wasn't completely sure that she was capable of smiling. Then again, neither did she. As the tension leaves her body and she feels relaxed, Morrigan brings her eyesight back to the starry night sky. Vincent follows her lead and looks up as well. He was never the kind of person to stop to smell the flowers, so why would he stop to look up at the night sky? However, even he couldn't deny how wonderful the stars looked.

"Did you know that stars are dead?"

Morrigan's question threw Vincent off. He breaks his gaze to give her a quizzical look.

"Wait what?"

She scoots closer to him, shoulder and shoulder, and she redirects their sights back up to the stars in the sky to explain.

"Stars are a lot like humans." she begins with. "They're born into the universe. They live their lives, and then they ultimately die. Fortunately, we humans are lucky enough to die much sooner than the stars." Vincent gives her another quizzical look for her last comment. She continues on telling him about the stars, yet he doesn't look back up. He keeps his eyes on her.

"Not only do they live for billions and billions of years, we never know when a star has died. They live their lives deep in the galaxy, thousands of light years away from the earth, and despite the fact that they're dead, we still look up and think how beautiful they are. If you think about it, stars symbolize life. When we die, people try to remember their good memories with that dead person. How great their life was and that it wasn't wasted. Regardless of all the crap we have to go through in life, death proves that it was worth it. Like how Mexicans, like my family, celebrate Dia de Los Muertos, we don't celebrate the holiday because we like partying and celebrating death; we're celebrating and remembering the lives of our loved ones who are gone. Even the ones we've never met; but hope to meet them all in the afterlife. I mean, there better be an afterlife because regular life fucking sucks."

Both Morrigan and Vincent shared a laugh.

"I guess my point is, although the stars might be dead and we don't know that they are probably dying at this very moment." Another laugh escapes from both of their lips. "They're still beautiful. That death itself is beautiful as well."

Vincent just stares at her face in awe. He wonders if it's the moonlight that makes him see her in a different light, or something else. Still, he now sees this dark, mysterious girl who only wears black; matching the color of her soul. Who most people think is a major freak, he now sees how truly beautiful this girl is. Inside and out. Her view on life was intriguing to him. No matter how different she is from any other girl, which he kinda likes. This was the moment he realized that he was starting to fall in love with her. That he wanted her to be his special star. He knew that if he asked her out right then and there, life would change and things would be different. Things will get complicated, confusing, hell even frustrating at times. But if she doesn't give a fuck about with other people think about her, why should he?

So here is this boy and girl, two completely different people, who somehow lived different lives in the same town, who decide to get to really know one another. No matter what flaws or baggage they carry, they still see each other as stars. Beautiful and depressing at the same time.