Rumble's Apology

It was a warm Saturday in Ponyville and summer was just around the corner. Ponies were strolling about in town and foals were playing in the park without a care in the world. Rumble was swinging on the swing set by himself, watching the Cutie Mark Crusaders in another corner of the park do what they do best: helping somepony get their cutie mark. Today, they had just helped a blonde Pegasus filly find a special talent in jump rope and she couldn't be any happier.

"Thank you, Crusaders!" She beamed before giving them a hug and running off to show her friends her new mark; they waved goodbye.

"Another job well done, girls." Sweetie Belle said proudly.

"That's the third pony this week. Not too shabby." Apple Bloom commented.

"And just wait until next weekend. The CMC Day Camp will be back and better than ever!" Scootaloo exclaimed as she and her best friends bumped hooves.

"Yeah!" They cheered.

Rumble paused; he remembered Cutie Mark Day Camp like it was yesterday. Initially, he didn't even want to attend the camp, but his brother signed him up and made him go anyway. He thought the activities the Crusaders were offering at their camp, or basically anything else, would keep him from being a Wonderbolt, the thing he really wanted to be in life. He kept saying things like cutie marks restricted ponies from doing other things and being a blank flank was the way to go. And if that wasn't bad enough, he turned all of the campers against the Crusaders and nearly shut down the entire camp. Luckily, Thunderlane was able to talk some sense into him before events escalated any further and Rumble learned to be more open-minded and try new things. Looking back on it now, he realized what he did to the Crusaders was selfish, cruel, and stupid and they were just trying to help.

"Those girls always go out of their way to help other ponies." He said to himself, putting a hoof over his face in embarrassment. "And I tried to ruin their efforts, all because I wanted to be a Wonderbolt like my brother. How could I be such a stupid ego maniac?"

"How, indeed?" A new voice asked.

Rumble looked around for the source of the voice, but no one was around. Then he heard the same voice clear their throat. He turned his head to his left to see the upside down face of Discord a few inches away from him.

"Hi." He said.

The colt screamed and fell off the swing in surprise; Discord was disguised as the swing set. He started to run, but he felt something grab him by the tail and lift him up off the ground. He was once again face to face with Discord who turned back to his old self and put the swings back to normal; a few foals passing by ran away in fear. Rumble stared in terror as beads of sweat dripped down his face; he had heard stories of the Lord of Chaos before, but he had never once met him in the flesh. What did he want with him? He was so scared he could hardly speak; all he could do what stutter.

"What's the matter, little storm cloud? Cat got your tongue?" Discord asked mockingly.

After a few moments of stumbling over his words, the only thing Rumble could say was, "DON'T EAT ME!"

Discord suddenly burst out laughing as if he was just told a hilarious joke. The poor colt anxiously looked around, hoping for somepony, anypony, to come to his rescue. But then, while he was still laughing, the Draconequus gently set him back onto the ground. Rumble was very confused, but then he noticed Discord starting to calm down. He took in a few deep breaths and wiped a tear from his eye.

"Phew." He sighed.

"Uh..." Rumble mumbled, unsure of what to say next.

"Sorry about that, sonny." Discord said, wrapping a claw around the colt's shoulders. "It's Rumble, right?"