Part 8: Performance of a Lifetime

"Dinah, did you see that sold-out show? That's us, baby!"

I looked over my shoulder to see Lord Byron cheering. Black Canary was formed in 2016 and Byron has been the drummer and my best friend since.

We're under Gotham Underground Record Label which has had a bad reputation for terminating contracts with bands that under-perform.

In this instance, we're the gold standard of the group. We just got back together in 2023 after disbanding in 2021.

"I did. Being back in Gotham will be fun guys."

Unfortunately, I hurt my voice during our last concert and I'm not sure I can perform. But if I don't, our contract will not honour our forth-coming album "R&R: Rough & Ready".

Since it's the main income for all three band members, not including myself since Ollie's money went to me after we lost him.

I miss him. Well, sometimes.

"Are you excited Dinah?"

I mean I am. But Barbara was telling me something fishy was happening with Gotham's Underground. No heroes or villains are allowed to operate without the knowledge of some group.

Who knows? Maybe my band will be fine.

"Dinah, may I speak to you quickly? The label really loved R&R and is ready to release it after your show in Gotham. Shall we accept the offer? Or deny the release?"

I look at Maeve.

She was supposed to be the lead vocalist but became the manager of the crew. She grew on me over the months since our band started.

"What shall we do? The choice is supposed to be mine, y'know. But since I'm a polite person I'll let you choose."

"You can drop it after our show. Might increase our sales for band merch again."

"Perfect, I'll call the label and let them know!"

I walk to my dressing room.

"Oh and Dinah? The tour bus will be here in 15 minutes."

I nod.

It's so easy coming off of a tour and having a show added last minute. I don't have to worry about going home and coming back to the studio.

I still can't believe Ollie couldn't see eye to eye with my decisions. It made me feel small. Considering that I was nothing but supportive throughout the years made me feel some type of way.

Let alone, the Birds of Prey have disbanded. Batgirl decided to return as Oracle until Gotham is in the clear. She wants Gotham to be a better place and I admire her for that.

Huntress decided to become a teacher down at Gotham Academy. Haven't heard much from her in a while though.

Harley Quinn and Catwoman decided to bring back the Sirens and invited Punchline along. That girl is truly evil. I wonder how Harley is putting up with her.

Dove went back to the Justice League and took Hawk with her to keep a watchful eye.

I miss Ollie. So much it hurts most days still. We separated a few years ago.

"Bus is here."

Ditto is our guitarist and doesn't talk much. But that's fine. She's still a kid.

I gather my duffel bag once more. I have my Black Canary costume ready in case something bad happens.

I walk out to the bus where my bandmates are already chilling and sleeping. It's not that long of a ride, but I think I'll catch some rest. My body needs it. My voice. Damn. I should really invest in some self-care.

"Dinah! All ready or what?"

That would be Paloma. She's the technician of the group. A little rowdy if you ask me.

"Yes, I'm ready to catch some sleep now. You should try too."

Paloma gave me a stare and walked away.

Well, like I said, self-care - here I come.