CHAPTER ONE

"It's my birthday , It's my birthday I'mma spend my money. It's my birthday, na naaa..." She stops in her tracks as her face turns red and she runs back to her room.

"I'm not leaving you for this, Muskaan." She screams before closing the door behind her as I chuckle.

Well, that was my best friend dancing her ass off in a towel while I silently recorded her weird dance moves. I stop the music and slump back on the sofa, tired from the day.

"You better get ready." She screams, peering through her room door, and slams it shut.

"I am not coming." I screamed back to annoy her, already anticipating her reaction.

As I was waiting for her to barge in, my phone rang. I groan as I have to move from my place to pick up the phone, which was in my purse that I left near the door. I was really tired today. I didn't want to move a single muscle.

Instead of getting up to fetch my phone, I just stare at my bag, which is lying a good distance from me, as if it will magically fly to me. It stops ringing, and I sigh in relief and close my eyes. This feels so comfortable. I was slowly slipping into sleep when my phone rang again. I groan. I knew it was Maa who was calling me to persuade me into meeting another guy she thinks is a potential match for me. This happens every weekend. She sends me guys' pictures on WhatsApp and pesters me to meet one guy after another.

I get up and take my phone from my purse so I can call her back before she calls Riya and becomes all senti.

She picks up the phone after a single ring.

"Where were you, Muski? Why didn't you pick up my call? Are you alright? Do you have a fever? Or have you..." She bombards me with questions, and I just cut her short before she lists all the possible illnesses that I could possibly get infected with.

"Maa relax. Nothing happened. Please explain why you called." I cut straight to the point. I know it will be about yet another guy that she thinks is a match for me.

"Can't I just call you? I just wanted to talk to you. Is this too much to ask for?" I roll my eyes while listening to her drama. Let me tell you, my mother is a big drama queen. She perfectly knows what to say in what situation and can easily manipulate you into doing things.

"Okay, I'm sorry. How are you doing? Did you guys have dinner? How's Aarav, by the way?" I question going back to the sofa and lying on it, staring at the ceiling.

"I'm good, and yes, we had dinner, and we all miss you so much." I smile, slightly missing all those dinners we had together, teasing and irritating Maa. My father and I loved to do that.

"Aarav's exams are in about two weeks, and he misses you so much, saying it would have been easy for him to score good marks if you were around." I laugh as I recall all the times I helped my brother study for his exams and how we would end up fighting, only for Maa to come and settle the quarrel.

"Just tell him not to put too much pressure on himself; he'll do fine." I reassure.

"Muski," she calls, waiting for me to respond.

"Hmm"

"I have sent you a picture on WhatsApp." Here it goes. "He works as a mechanical engineer, and..."

"Maa." I interfered with her. "How many times should I tell you, I do not want to marry right now? Please stop sending me pictures and pestering me to meet those guys." I knew from the start that she would want to talk about this.

"Yeah, now scream at me," and the drama begins. "All you people ever do is scream at me and shut me up. Who even cares about me? "

"All I want is to see you get married before I die," she says as I get up from the sofa, rolling my eyes.

"Maa, please not right now. I want to be well settled first in life." I try to explain it to her while feeling a twinge of guilt.

"Whatever! Don't listen to me."

I sigh as I hear Riya's bedroom door open, and I turn towards her. My jaw drops open.

"Accha Maa, I'll call you later. I'm going out with Riya right now." I said this as I was eager to end the call and compliment my best friend, who was looking stunning.

"At least find a guy yourself," she grunts before hanging up the phone.

"WOW, Riya. You are looking drop-dead gorgeous." I stand up and scan her from head to toe. She is wearing a thin-strap satin bodycon dress with a side slit and has left her hair open. Her makeup was on point, and I am sure she is going to make people fall for her today.

"Now will you get ready? We are running late." She eyes me in anger, as if challenging me to do otherwise and see what she does to me.

"Before I get ready, I want to give you something." I smile cheekily as I hand her a small, gift-wrapped box. She takes it and unwraps it neatly, carefully removing the tape used to keep the wrap in place.

"Muskaan! Thank you so much. I wanted this for so long." She exclaims, looking at the Carolina Herrera CH Good Girl perfume.

"Happy Birthday!" I smile as she engulfs me in a quick hug and shoves me inside the room so that I can get ready.

I open my closet and scan through my clothes. I sigh. I didn't want to put on a dress, so I pulled out a white spaghetti top that my eyes fell on and then took out a nice shimmery knee-length black skirt. This outfit would look great with a pair of black high-heeled boots.

I put on the clothes, slightly curled my hair as quickly as possible while trying not to burn my hands, and applied some makeup when I heard Riya calling for me. I better hurry up.

Lastly, I pull out a black jacket to save myself from the cold and possible perverts that we might encounter in the club where we are going to celebrate Riya's birthday. She didn't want a big party, so instead, me, Riya, her boyfriend slash my friend Sahil were going to a club to celebrate this girl we adore.