Christmas Trip

The headmaster, professor McGonagall, looked at the parchment to check if all topics were discussed at the meeting of Hogwarts pedagogical staff.

"There is one more thing, dear colleagues. The Christmas trip. This year we will visit the museum of magic in Godric's Hollow. We have to agree on teacher supervision. Two teachers for every grade."

The Christmas trip was a long tradition, and the pairs of teachers were more or less coordinated. Harry Potter, who taught defense against the dark arts, used to travel with Neville Longbottom, the herbology teacher; only destinations and grades were different each year. This year they were supervising first graders. Harry was not too happy about that; he preferred more responsible students. He was a bit afraid of how he would take care of so many naughty kids.

Hopefully, Neville, who has children, will know what to do. Harry was surprised when professor McGonagall called him to her cabinet one day before the planned trip. He entered the room carefully. What is Malfoy doing here? That's no good.

"Unfortunately, we have a small problem. Professor Longbottom got bitten by a carnivorous plant and is currently at the Hospital Wing. Don't worry; it is nothing serious, and he will be okay soon. But we need a teacher supervisor for the trip to Godric's Hollow, and professor Malfoy is the only one who is free."

Harry swallowed hard. Draco looked at him with annoyance.

"I don't have a chance to refuse, do I?" Harry asked.

"You are right, Mr. Potter. Thank you both for your cooperation." The headmaster smiled mischievously, and the meeting ended.

"Malfoy, I am as happy as you are about it, so spare me your comments," the Gryffindor said.

"The same to you," the Slytherin replied, and both dashed to their dormitories.

---

They have not talked to each other until their departure. They met in the morning of the day of the trip in front of the purple school bus, which was going to take them to Godric's Hollow. Harry was surprised when he saw Malfoy coming in elegant white clothes. It is just a trip! He wore ordinary sports trousers, a black T-shirt, and a black jacket. Next to dressed up Malfoy, he felt untidy.

"Do you want to be top or bottom?" Malfoy asked in that arrogant tone. Harry goggled at him in surprise. He couldn't think of any acceptable interpretation of Slytherin's question. Draco enjoyed his embarrassment. "I mean, in the bus. Do you want to take care of the upper or lower floor?"

"Oh. Maybe upper one," Harry stammered. Why is that conceited Malfoy constantly making him upset? Soon, the first children started to come, and Draco gave each of them a chocolate bonbon and carefully found a seat for them. Harry realized that he behaved way nicer to kids than to adults, let alone to him. There was something protective and gentle in his behaviour. Some girls looked at him with admiration. Harry got slightly jealous. What did he expect? That he will be a second Snape? Feared and unpopular? Anyway, Snape was much more intelligent. The only impressive thing about Malfoy was his appearance; that is too little, so Harry rationalized.

"Will you keep staring, or will you come to help me?" Harry was interrupted from unproductive thinking by his colleague's voice.

"I am sorry, I am coming." Harry tried to concentrate on his task as much as possible. The last thing he wanted was to look stupid in front of Malfoy. The less he talks to him, the better. Finally, all of them were sitting, and the bus took off. Luckily the driver was not Ernie Prang but an elderly witch who looked a bit like Minerva McGonagall. The journey with her was pleasant, elegant, and safe. And Harry liked one more thing about her. She smiled at him more than at Malfoy. She had a little lion by the front window. Gryffindor!