Chapter One

Abby Foster didn't want to like the town of Jewell Cove. It was just her bad luck, then, that the place appeared annoyingly cheerful and quaint; a postcard-perfect sea town on the Maine coast dotted with colorful buildings nestled above the pristine inlet of Penobscot Bay. In response to her irritation, she cranked up the radio and rolled down the window. The breeze blew her hair back from her face, and she gave her head a toss as she continued into the town, tapping her fingers on the steering wheel along with the music. She had to be here. She didn't have to like it.

She couldn't put the trip off any longer. Something had to be done with the house. The estate was paying the taxes on the damned place but her Aunt Marian's lawyer kept pestering her about the condition of the property and what she was going to do about it. The constant correspondence made it impossible to pretend the house didn't exist. So she finally put in for a deferred leave from her job as an elementary school teacher and decided to deal with the family mess once and for all.

Family, heh. Abby gave a short laugh to herself. Up until a year ago, she hadn't realized she actually had any family. And if it weren't for Ian Martin, Marian's pesky lawyer, she'd happily ignore the connection altogether. It was easy to resent a family she'd never knownl; a family who could have reached out to her at any time over the last twenty-five years and hadn't. Ever since she received the so-called "happy news" that she was practically an heiress, she refused to use her inheritance from her great-Aunt Marian for anything. She considered it somehow tainted, like guilt money sent too late to make amends for past transgressions. Not that she knew what those transgressions were other than years of silence. Abby's Gram had staunchly refused to talk about her childhood, and Marian certainly hadn't reached out. All that Abby knew was that Gram had been raised by her grandparents who'd died right before she'd gotten pregnant with Abby's father. In many ways, it was like Gram's life hadn't existed before the Prescotts took her in.

Abby frowned and picked up the slip of paper with directions scrawled on it. Now that she was here, they didn't exactly seem to make sense. She couldn't tell if she was facing south or east, the way the road twisted around.

Seeing a gas station up ahead, Abby made a sharp turn and pulled into the broken paved lot. Situated at the edge of town, the old gas pumps and faded sign definitely gave a vintage feel—if rundown could be considered vintage. She needed to fill up with gas anyway, and she could

ask for directions to Foster Lane. She blew out a breath. For Pete's sake, there was even a road named after the family... a side of the family, she reminded herself bitterly, who'd apparently been as rich as Croesus and left the rest of them to be poor as church mice.

A grizzled man in a navy shirt came out of the shop, wiping his hands on a rag as she pulled up to the gas pump. "Afternoon," he called out,; and when he smiled, she saw he was missing a few teeth.

"Hi there," she answered back pleasantly, determined to be friendly. Gram had always said you could catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and the smoother this went the faster she'd be out of here leaving nothing more than a vapor trail. "Fill it up, please."

"Sure thing," he replied. He went to the pump and opened her gas cap. "Nova Scotia plate. On vacation?"

"Um...sort of." She pasted on her biggest smile. "I was wondering, can you tell me how to get to Foster Lane? The directions I have aren't very clear."

The old man's head snapped up. "Foster Lane? Only thing up there is the house on Blackberry Hill."

A little zing of excitement that she didn't expect coursed through her. The House on Blackberry Hill sounded much more evocative than plain old Foster House. "Yes, that's it. The Foster mansion, right?"