Chapter 1

Story based off an book "The Baby-sitters Club" by Raina Telgemeier - (the author of smile)
────────────────────────────

"The Baby-Sitters club. I'm proud to say it was totally my idea, even though the four of us worked it out together." "Us" Mary Anne Spier, Claudia Kishi, Stacey McGill, And me -- Kristy Thomas. "It all started on the first Tuesday of seventh grade...." Kristy... ... Er, Class... "You have your homework assignment. You may go. Kristy, I'd like to see you for a minute."... " Mr. Redmont? I'm really sorry, I don't mean anything. I mean... I didn't mean I was glad school was over, I meant I was glad I could go home because my house is air-conditioned..." "But do you think Kristy, that it would be possible in the future to conduct yourself with a bit more decorum?" - ... "Decorum"? " Yes sir." "Good." "But I want you to remember this incident, and the best way for us to remember things is to write them down." "So tonight, I'd like you to write a 100-word essay on the importance of decorum in the classroom." "Darn. Yes sir." "Hey." "Mary Anne, how do you ever expect to be able to wear nail polish if you keep doing that?" "Oh, come on. I'll be 75 before my father let's me wear nail polish." Mary Anne is my best friend. She's very quiet and shy, which my mom says is because Mr. Spier is so nervous Mary Anne's mother died when Mary Anne was little. Mary Anne has no brothers or sisters, so she is all he's got. At their house, it's rules, rules, rules but you'd think that-- "Oh my gosh!!" "What is it?!" "It's Tuesday!!" "So?! Slow down, Kristy! It's too hot to run." "I can't slow down!" "Tuesday is my afternoon to watch David Michael..." "... And I'm supposed to beat him home!" "My older brothers, Sam and Charlie, and I each watch our younger brother one day a week after school." "David Michael?" "What's Wrong?" "I'm locked out!" "What happened to your key? " I don't know. " "Well... It's all right" "NO!! it's not all right... I couldn't get in, and I have to go to the bathroom!" When David Michael gets like this, it's best to just ignore his tears and pretend everything is fine. "WOOF!! WOOF!!" "Hey, Louie!" WOOF! WOOF! "While you go to the bathroom, I'm going to fix us some lemonade, okay?" "...okay!!" "Hey..." "Mrs. Newton asked me to baby-sit for Jamie this afternoon.... Obviously I couldn't...." "... Didn't she call you after she called me?" "No..." "Maybe she called Claudia?" "Here you go!" HE-LLO-O!! "Hey Charlie." "Hi, everybody. Hi squirt." "I am NOT a squirt." "Me an' Sam are going to play some ball at the Hanson's. Wanna play, Kristy?" "I don't know -- I thought Mary Anne and I would take David Michael to the Brook." "You want to go wading, David Michael?" *nod* "See you guys later!!" "9:00, okay?" "Okay." "I'm home kids!" "I wonder what she wants...." "Yeah..." "How come you bought a pizza, mom?" "Kristyyy..." "Come on. What do you have to ask us?" "Oh, all right. Kathy called me at work to say she won't be able to watch David Michael tomorrow. I was wondering what you guys are--" "Football practice. Math club. Sitting at the newtons'. " Drat. " "But we are sorry." "I know you are." "Hi, Mary Anne? It's Mrs. Thomas. I'm looking for a sitter tomorrow afternoon... Sitting at the Pikes'? Okay." "Hi, Claudia?...Art Class? I understand." "Hello, Cynthia? Cheerleading practice?" That's when it hit me. "Good news! Mrs. Newton says you can bring David Michael with you tomorrow when you watch Jamie, Kristy." "...Kristy?" "Uh, that's great, mom.... Can I please be excused?"