Part 8

Embers POV

I groan as Ritchie strikes me with lightning again. It's been two months since I've been back. Four months since Lucas and David left. And a week since Mario left. I've been trying to keep Kit away from Ritchie. I've also been helping her with paperwork whenever I'm not on missions. I hide some of the reward money. But Ritchie does take most of it. He uses it to buy more alcohol. He has been going out to find Brandon. But even then he is drunk.

"Leave my sight!" Ritchie tells me with a hiccup. I struggle to get up but do. I leave the hall and see Kit sitting outside by a tree. Tapio with her. Tapio is a cat human thing. Mario found him not long after I left. He has been Kit and Mario's best friend ever since. He is very kind but blunt. "Are you okay?" Kit asks concerned. "I'm okay, don't worry. Come on, I got some food from town last time I went. Let's go eat." I tell her. My arms hurt, and I feel my legs tremble a little from the lasting shock.

She nods as I lead her to David's house. We go inside and I make us some food and tea. We sit down and eat with out talking. After we finish we just sit on the couch and relax. "Can... can I ask you something?" Kit asks. "Go ahead." I tell her. "...Where were you? And.... where is Lani?" Kit asks me. I freeze and after a moment I take a deep breath. "Well, Lani went on a mission that was supposed to be fast and easy. But... she got kidnapped. Ritchie and Brandon asked me to go get her. I agreed." I pause.

"I found her locked up in a broken down castle. I got her. But... as we were escaping they shot at us. She got hit. I was able to get us to a safe place. But she... she died. I was too late to save her. Then.... Then the people who had her. Took me. I sent a talking flower to Brandon and Ritchie. Telling them not to worry about me. And not to try to save me." I tell her. "Lucas said you was just on an undercover mission." Kit tells me. "That's what I told him. I knew he would want to go with me. So I lied. I told him I was going on an easy mission." I say.

"When I got taken. I sent him a flower. It told him that I found another mission on the way. One where I had to be undercover. And I would be able to come back or talk to him for quite some time. But I was chained with magic proof chains. A lot happened there. But I got a demon Lacrima put inside me. A time mage messed with my age a lot. They set my age at 19. Because of what they did I might not ever age again. But... they got sick of me. So they had me start to dig my own grave." I tell her. Kit looks at me with sadness.