43

"So, how are things going? Have you made your decision yet?" Kasie's therapist, Dr

"So, how are things going? Have you made your decision yet?" Kasie's therapist, Dr. Dubose asked through their phone call. She was currently sitting down in the finished basement of the house for a bit of privacy while on her call, fiddling with random things as they spoke.

"No. Everything about it feels wrong. I don't want to disrespect my parents like that." Kasie shook her head, twirling a pen in between her fingers as her eyes remained focused on the tv that played animated horror stories; her favorites.

"Is it disrespectful to want closure, or are you convincing yourself that it is so you don't have to talk to your biological parents?" Dr. Dubose spoke. He did have a point, but Kasie wasn't about to just openly admit to him being correct.

"I choose the latter." She shrugged, rolling her eyes at the commercial that came on just when one of the stores was starting to get to its climax, going on a search for the Roku remote that always seemed to disappear from its previous spot beside her.

"Well, this is why we made that pros and cons list, and might I add there were plenty more pros than there were cons- other than your fears."

"I wouldn't even know what to say. What if it has a negative effect? Like, puts me back in the state that I was in that made me come to therapy?" Kasie frowned, finally finding the remote in between the couch cushion, on the opposite side of the couch, skipping the commercial.

"Even though I doubt it would happen, on the off chance that something like that were to occur, you now how the proper tools, knowledge, and know how to use your resources so you don't get in that state again. All you have to do is use everything that you have in front of you, and you'll be fine. That means your family and of course, me." He assured, taking his notes on the other side of the phone.

He had already become used to the fact that whenever it came down to these types of things/situations, Kasie would always think about the worst possible outcomes, strictly based on her fears- this was also fairly common for everyone, but it was his job to break her out of the unhealthy habit.

He'd just have to continue to slowly coach her out of her ways, and make her realize and remember that she had multiple people in her corner that are there for her, especially when she can't be there for herself. And even then, when she doesn't want to "put her problems" on her people, she still has plenty of other outlets in reach she can reach out to.

"I don't even know if I still have the note anymore. What happenes to my closure then, hm? Since you got your degree, and you know every-fucking-thing." She mimicked the TikTok sound, making them both laugh.

"Well, me and my degree believe that you'll find it when the time is right. That's usually how the universe works, right? Things come around when you're ready for them, not before or after. I think you said that, didn't you?" He chuckled, sassing her back.

"Oh booo! You're a psychic now?" They shared another laugh.

Dr. Dubose was a younger therapist and Kasie enjoyed that, especially since he was a black man. She felt that someone who was younger would better suit her and her energy, and that was something that she found out she was completely right about. Dr. Dubose was only two years older than Kasie so in meetings she felt a bit more comfortable with him; it felt like she was talking to a friend rather than in a meeting pertaining to her subtly declining mental health.