A Night of Gifts and Gratitude

Azriel surveys the sitting room, taking up residence in what Feyre refers to as 'his corner'. He supposes he does have a habit of standing there, but it's engrained into him to not let anyone behind his back. One rule of a spymaster that he keeps to religiously, even with family. Sometimes he doesn't even notice that he's against a wall until someone points it out.

Laughter and the crackle of the fire roar in the background as everyone settles in for the annual Solstice party. Nesta and Cassian had shown up fashionably late as usual, Elain had been cooking with the twins in the kitchen as Lucien laughed at their antics, and Amren was being a bit too fidgety with a dress that Varian had bought her. She was clearly uncomfortable, but she wore it nonetheless, possibly a nod to her newfound human heart. Morrigan had brought her new girlfriend, Amber; she seemed lovely enough.

One question still lingers in Azriel's mind, however. His shadows are unsettled as well, wanting to know. Huffing a bit at his ridiculousness, he walks over to Nesta and Cassian, sitting in a chair opposite them.

"Hey, Az", Nesta greets him, seeming to be genuinely cheerful this year.

"Hey, Nesta. So...no er—no Valkyries tonight? I thought you were going to invite them?"

Nesta and Cassian share a quick look and Cass snorts, walking into the next room to rile up an already excited Nyx.

Leveling him with a smirk, Nesta takes a dramatic sip of wine. "Oh, well, Emerie may come later. Her shop is open late tonight so everyone else can get their last-minute shopping finished."

Bugger. She knows perfectly well that he wasn't particularly asking about Emerie, but he refuses to give her the satisfaction.

"Lovely. We will be happy to see her."

Nesta rolls her eyes. "Az, just ask what you want to ask. Out with it."

"Hm? Oh, there's nothing..."

"You are so stubborn", she huffs. "Look, I don't know if Gwyn will show up, honestly. I'm sorry. I shouldn't tell you this, but Gwyn gets very self-conscious around crowds. The library is still her safe haven. As much as she is trying to break out and build up the courage, I don't know if it will happen this year. Plus, the girls at the library have their own small celebration, and she had already been at the Temple to sing earlier for the service, so I'm sure she's wiped out. As outgoing as she can be, her social battery can drain quite quickly. Something I think we can both understand."

He tries his best to keep his face from falling, but nods. "Right. I forgot about the service earlier."

"Her singing is magical. I think you would enjoy going sometime."

"Me?"

"You don't have to pretend, Az. It's obvious how much you care for her. Just...take it slow. She isn't going anywhere."

Azriel nods and pats her knee. "Yeah. Thanks, Nes."

Nesta gives him a sympathetic look and he returns to his usual spot to watch the room, leaning back against the molding. Reaching down, he pats his thigh and feels the gift he had bought for Gwyn in his pocket. After the entire necklace debacle, he was not going to get her jewelry. But at least she and Elain had become friendly despite it, and neither of them carried a grudge against him, thank gods.

He watches as all the happy couples file into the sitting area around the pile of gifts. Feyre and Rhys, Elain and Lucien, Mor and Amber, Cassian and Nesta, Amren and Varian. He can't help the feeling of his heart dropping, and wonders if maybe the Cauldron is punishing him for surviving in childhood or any of the myriad of bad deeds he has been forced to do in his life.