54. Who will succeed?

The open corridor leading to the Crown Prince's chamber was deserted. People were out celebrating the mating ceremony of their new King and Queen. Guards and the staffs too. Consequently, there was no one to relight the candles and torches that were put out by the strong wind.

One could not see Persephone walking along the corridor because of darkness covering the premise. The thing that gave away her presence were the click-clack noises of her heels.

Wanting to be left alone, she entered the Crown Prince's Chamber, only to realize that her ceremonial mate was in there as well. She had seen him leaving the celebration a while before her. Without acknowledging her arrival, she saw him standing on the balcony with his back facing her, taking the support of alcohol.

She took a note that he stood there frequently.

Reciprocating his manners, Persephone didn't ask for his attention. She trudged up to stand in front of  the mirror. There she got a view of her tear-stricken face. She hadn't known she had been crying. Surely seeing her real mate in anguish upon loosing her and also seeing him give up on his title couldn't have that effect on her, could it?

Swabbing her tears with her hand, she focused on the Crown of the Queen Consort. It was right there on her head. She was now the most powerful woman. With the most powerful man by her side. Speaking of which, she wanted to own him completely. She wouldn't accept anything less. She had given up too much for all of this.

"It's time to complete the mating ceremony properly, Your Majesty." She said while taking steps towards the bed and sitting on it.  Tugging down the cloth covering her chest and pushing her shoulders backward, she made constant eye-contact with Xavier as he approached her.

"My apologies, Lady Bennet. But we are under the influence and you too seem to be driven by sadness. It would be better if you refrain." She heard him say.

Persephone's lip quivered. "You do not want me?!" She yelled.

Hesitating a bit, Xavier answered, "Ours is an unusual arrangement. Hence, we request you not to ask such questions."

"You'd be more than eager if she were in my place, wouldn't you?"

Again, Xavier answered with caution. "We can only offer you our friendship at most. We had made that clear before you entered this arrangement."

Persephone felt her heart burning. She fisted the sheets tightly while few sobs escaped her lips. She then lifted her hand to cup her neck and support her head with it.

"The Crown is heavy, Lady Bennet. Sadly you chose it." Xavier commented.

"I was born for this power, Your Majesty. Unlike her." said Persephone as she withdrew her hand. "Or else how is she your sister-in-law now when it was supposed to be me?" She chuckled. "So you better accept me." She added.

"I am Ariana's mate. Not Ariana." came the quickest reply from Xavier. "Do not think that this kind of pitiful attempt at power play works on me."

Taking a step back, Persephone decided to change her approach.

"You will always love her more than me, won't you?" she asked in the saddest tone, letting a drop of tear fall down from her left eye.

Xavier continued staring at her in slight distaste. Judging by his face, he wasn't affected at all. It shook Persephone's confidence.

"Did you always compete with my mate? Attempt to demean her?" He asked. The suppressed rage in his voice was beginning to scare her. So she shook her head, denying his claims.