13

“Wait, wait, we’ve got to make a plan first.” Ash announced.

“What do you have in mind?”

“Well, I’ve got a great plan, but I want to hear Pablo’s take first. Pablo?”

Pablo looked at Ash, perplexed at the sudden spotlight, “Oh, well.. Let’s see.”

Ash snapped, “Andale, muchacho, we don’t have all day.”

“You didn’t even give me time to think!” Pablo looked at the ceiling, then at me.

“I’ve got it, I’ve got it!” He began, “So we know there’s at least ten, so that’s
pretty big chunk. Jefe, why don’t we just lock them all in one place? Then, we can get what we came for and leave without getting covered in blood.”

Ash looked impressed.

“Where?”

“The freezer.” I chimed.

Ash looked at me as though I had said the most amazing idea in the world.

“So how are we going to do this, Jefe? They don’t move in herds.”

“Sure they do. All they need is a little bait.” Ash looked at me.

I stared back, computing his words.

‘“Jefe..” Pablo began, before being interrupted by Ash.

“You. Be the bait, then I'll swoop you out of there before they lay a finger on you.” Ash explained.

I took a step back, my foot stepping right back into vomit. I slipped and fell back, landing hard on my back.

“Nat!” Pablo exclaimed, alarmed. He rushed over and held his hand out. I took it and was surprised to find that his intention was to drag me out the vomit. I stood up when I reached the cool linoleum floor.

“You want to use me as bait? Listen, Sir, you’re great and you’ve been ever so kind but I don’t think I can..”

“Oh come on, Shakespeare, it’ll be a piece of cake. You be bait, we’ll make sure you don’t get hurt.”

“But why can’t Pablo do it? Or you?”

“Well I can’t do it because I’m not fast. And Pablo can’t do it because he’ll panic. But you.. You’re strong; fierce.” He lied through his teeth.

“I have to be fast?” I yelled, terrified of the prospects.

“Well, anyways, you’ll be fine, doll.”

“I’ll cover you.” Pablo mused.

I held my gun close to me. “Alright.”

A short time passed. From Pablo and Ash’s silent bickering, to the sound of Deadites around the corner, the room was filled with noise. Ash and Pablo stood on the freezer balcony on the interior. I stood at the front, a noisemaker in one hand and a whistle in my mouth. I swallowed my breath. From the inside, I could hear a faint yell.

“Do it now!” Pablo called.

I took a deep breath and whistled my heart out. I swung the noisemaker around, letting out a deafening rattle. “Come and get some! Fresh and piping hot, you scum!”

From the corners, I could see Deadites emerging from their feeble hiding spots. They all had wide smiles plastered across their faces, with golden, razor sharp teeth dripping in spit. I could’ve gagged then and there as the overwhelming smell of decomposing ligaments filled the air.

They grew closer. I shot at one.  I could hear their foul remarks

“Spread em’ baby!”

“Lousy whore!”