AAAAAAA WHY IS NEPOTISM AND BUREAUCRACY

the witch was not the kind of witch that hurt humans. she had always been called thorn by the people of the village, however much she hated that nickname. by the tenth year of her staying with the village, her unusual powers had netted her some unwanted attention. that of a witch hunter, Mario. now, the forest animals whom she had made her familiars weren't happy with this, and they became furious when the townspeople, whom the witch had helped so many times, let the witch hunter stay with them. as a response to this offence, the forest animals formed a committee to figure out what should be done.

"well, we are just forest animals, after all. what could we even do? we would be murdered by the thousands! well, I suppose there aren't thousands of us, but you get my point." the fox named Nora, seemingly the only forest animal with a sense of self-preservation pointed out.

"speak for yourself!" the spider representative, clearly peeved, screeched. (strangely enough, clearly peeved was both the spider's name, and the emotion that they were feeling at this moment.) "In fact, if every single other forest creature is too much of a pansy to take on Mario and steal his eyeballs, then i'll do it myself!"

the crowd gasped, at... well, it's not exactly clear. they could have been gasping at the incredible coincidence that was clearly peeved being, quite clearly, peeved. or they could have been gasping at the fact that SHIT WAS ABOUT TO GO DOWN!!!

"well, then!" a voice boomed, and a floofy cat wearing a mistletoe crown jumped down from the trees. "if you are so intent on facing your doom, let it not be alone!"

a murmur floated across the crowd, as everyone wondered who would be sent.

"my child has yet to prove xemself as worthy of inheriting the crown! let it be xem that we send! let it be none other... then poinsettia!"

"but father... no, king mistletoe, why? i have always followed you, always resurrected your decisions, so why? i have been the heir that you wanted me to be!" said a small voice that sounded on the verge of tears. suddenly, a smaller, less floofy cat jumped down, wearing a poinsettia crown with petals that almost glowed with their velvet hue in the dappled light.

"you are too eager to follow. you must learn to lead. come back alive, and I shall fully respect you as the heir. otherwise, you would be fit only to be a puppet. and who wants a puppet sitting on the throne of the familiar? HA! twould be a foolish move to refuse, my child. and you, clearly peeved."

"huh? what? i was awake! here! present! 23.5! 64! 42 is the meaning of life according to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! Mesopotamia! josh did it!"

"josh... what did you do this time..." said a very concerned voice from the audience. but it didn't matter. all eyes were on king mistletoe.

"Clearly Peeved, if you succeed, i will make you prime minister AND Captain Peeved, as well as make you a member of nobility. do i make myself clear?"

"y-yessir! and do not worry! your child will come back safe. i swear."

"don't. if xe returns safely, twill be by xer own ability. otherwise they are not worthy of the crown."

"but!" prins Poinsettia started to argue, but lo and behold, twas too late.

"LET IT BE KNOWN, THAT ON THIS DAY PRINS POINSETTIA AND CLEARLY PEEVED WILL GO TO KILL THE WITCH HUNTER- AND BRING US BACK HIS EYES!" 

And as cheers erupted from the crowd, poinsettia and clearly peeved shared a look, as if to say "here we go again!"