What You Need

As you reached for the last bunch of bananas, another hand reached them first. You looked up at the most adorable smile on the most adorable man you'd ever seen.

"Tell me what you want because I only need two, maybe we can split them?"

His full lips were entrancing and you couldn't speak, staring up at him. He towered over you. You glanced at the bananas and noticed his huge hands and long fingers. You had never felt this way in the produce aisle.

"Do you need all of them? Because that's fine," he asked, softly.

"Oh, no, sorry, I only need three, thank you!"

"Perfect!" he exclaimed as he separated the bunch. You spied the muscles in his arms, grateful he was wearing a short sleeved t-shirt. And even though it was very loose, you could tell how wide his shoulders were and how built his chest was.

You felt a twinge of guilt for checking him out so thoroughly and glanced back up to his eyes, which were still narrowed in a sweet smile. You decided to take a chance and told him your name.

"I'm Mingi, great to meet you!" You both stood there until you noticed you hadn't taken the bananas from him. He moved them a little closer to you and you giggled nervously while you put them in your cart.

"Sorry, I don't know where my head is today!"

"Aw, don't worry, it's a really nice head!"

Both of you realized what you were saying and giggled again. You looked around awkwardly and had no idea what to do next. "Well, see ya?"

"Yeah, of course!" he giggled and walked away. You watched him for a moment then realized how creepy that was and purposefully went the other way to avoid following that enormous man.

Then, two aisles over, staring at the dried beans, someone bumped into you gently. You glance over to see a familiar arm then look up at him and smile.

"Oh gosh, I'm sorry! Hey, maybe you know where the kidney beans are?" he asked with a shrug.

They would be difficult for him to spot, just below your eye level, so you smiled and pointed. "It might be a little tricky for someone like you!"

He laughed, low and gravely, and butterflies flew circles in your stomach. You wanted to linger but you walked off before you embarrassed yourself.

Moments later you smiled wide at each other by the oils, then laughed as you crossed paths by the teas. By the time you got to the cheeses you were just walking side-by-side, talking about what dishes you planned to cook.

Finally, you made your move.

"I have this thing were I take myself out instead of cooking after I buy my groceries, and-"

"Could I join you?" he blurted out. "I'm starving from talking so much about food!"

You were relieved and excited. You told him where to meet you and when, your favorite cafe.

"Do you want my number, just in case?"

Boy did you really want his number. You handed him your phone and he handed it back.

"Okay, well, see you then!" You almost forgot to pay for your groceries, you were so distracted.

As soon as you got home the debate began: to change or not to change. He'd just accepted an invitation with you not exactly dressed for a date.

What if he didn't think it was a date???

You fought off panic and breathed for a few moments. You decided a casual change would signal your interest without coming on too strong: tight jeans and a cute t-shirt. You hoped he would get the hint.