the one and only chapter (part iii)

The moment they had feared was finally upon them; the electric storm had finally arrived. With the world in ruins, they boarded the ship in hope of salvation. Inside the ship, a young girl gazed out the window. At the world surrounding her. At the world that was no longer her home. "Come on, Zoe," came the voice of her brother. "Our pilots are going to take off soon; we need to get into a seat." Sighing, she staggered towards the seating area. The last few days had taken their toll on her body. It had only been a week ago when the whole world fell into utter chaos. The new circus in London, the Carnival of Stars, had been outed as a front for alien scouts. Said aliens had then proceeded to kill everything and everyone in sight. Since then, the plight of the Xandrians had spread to every corner of the world until no place was safe. Outside, the electric storm pummeled the craft with claws of jagged lightning, until one struck the domed glass above their heads. Lightning struck at the pilots, filling the air with a sinister, crackling sound. It seemed almost... sentient. Without a pilot, their ship began to sway. However, Zoe was inexplicably pulled towards the lightning. "What in tarnation are you doing?" screamed her brother. Zoe responded with an eerie smile. Then, she became one with the storm, lightning flowing through her veins. Just as the sky consumed the last stragglers of the human species.