Chapter 1- Pain

"Hey Carlos!" Hear someone calling his name amidst all the noise in the school hallway, Carlos looked up from his locker to find Briana, his best friend, calling out to him.

"Wass up" He asked, closing the locker.

"Nothing much." She replied, with a big wide smile at him. "Close your eyes," she demanded of him.

Briana is a bark skin girl with light brown eyes and purple and pink dyed hair. Today she is wearing long black jeans, a white tank top, a navy blue jeans jacket with ripped sleeves and black sneakers. However the smile she had on her face at that moment had all the alarm bells in Carlos' head going on.

"Why?" He questioned.

"Just do it." She stated. Giving in to her persistence, Carlos closed his eyes as was told. "Now put out you hand"

Carlos felt something being placed on his hand before opening his eyes. He watch the box curiously before asking

"What's this?"

"Your birthday present. Open it!" She stated a bit excitedly.

"My birthday present?" He questioned as he pulled out his phone from his back packet. "Oh shit! It is my birthday." He stated as he watched the date. "Thanks! I even forgot my birthday was today."

" Your mom or siblings haven't said anything." She frowned knowing how his family is.

"I slept in late today. By the time I left for school they already left." Carlos stated and Briana nodded in understanding.

"Anyway, thanks." He said, opening the box to find it filled with all his favorite snacks and a bralette with his man engraved on it in the midst of all the junk food. He tried it on and it was a perfect fit. Just that moment the bell rang indicating it was time for class.

~That afternoon~

"That's everything right?" Briana asks as she comes back from placing a few bags down on the front porch.

"Yh"

It was decided that we will be staying at home and getting drunk. Carlos has drank at parties and with family, however not to the point of getting hammered. That's why Briana, being who she is, decided this all on her own out of the blue.

Taking the keys out from his back pocket, Carlos opened the front door and shouted "MA! I'm home"

"SURPRISED! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Yamaira, Carlos's mother shouted alongside Crimady, his little sister, and Christopher, his little brother as they jumped out from behind a couch.

"Make a wish" Christopher impatiently insisted after they sang the birthday songs.

"You just want to eat cake," Carlos teased him.

"We all do, so hurry up!" his sister burst out.

"Ok! ok" Carlos chuckled and blew the candles out.

"I see you got some drinks, mind if I join?" Yamaira whispered into Carlos's ears as she eyed the things in his hand.

"I don't mind but Bri wants to get drunk. Hope you don't mind?"

"I was counting on it"she replied, leaving Carlos shaking his head at her words.

"Hhhh" both Yamaira and Bri exhale as they both drank half a bottle of beer in one go. They were currently on the back porch enjoying the chilly night breeze of October as they were reaped in blankets.

"This feels good! It reminds me of the time when your grandmother played domino's con los adultos (with the adults) in the neighborhood and we would all sneak off with a few bottles of beer and a speaker to boom music at the park!" Yamaira said. (Yamaira is pronounced with a J but spelled with a Y because its a spanish name)