The White Face Man

I was finally going to buy my own house and I was very enthusiastic about it, oblivious to the fact that it would prove to be my greatest mistake.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the crimson door of house no. 12. The nameplate reading 'Jim Droin and Jane Droin' would soon be 'Cari Hallen'. I smiled at the thought.

The door opened and I was met with Jim Droin. He had an oval, pale face. He looked young as he didn't have a beard. His hair was brown and curly. His round eyebrows were arched and he looked stressed for some reason. Beads of sweat could be seen covering his forehead. His black eyes appeared tired and when those dark orbs met mine, the weariness was replaced with some uncertain relief. His eyes had dark circles underneath them as if he hadn't slept in ages. There was a long cut on his cheek that looked recent. 

On paying attention, I realized that he had a fair amount of bruises. 

"Good evening Miss. Hallen," He greeted. I greeted him back and we shook hands.

"Come in, this house is almost yours," He smiled.

I stepped inside and into the living room. The crystal white chandelier was hanging from the center, enhancing the gorgeous look of the house. The center table in mid was a lovely blue-tinted circle and was surrounded by four glorious couches. The walls were cream white and the roof was a light shade of gray. I still couldn't believe they were selling such an exquisite house along with furniture so cheap. When I confronted them regarding this, they said that their only daughter had recently died and this house reminded them of a missing member. They couldn't stand here without realizing that the hole in their hearts had no replacement. However, they never told how their daughter perished. Looking at their traumatized faces, I decided not to bring it up again.

Mr. Dorin took out the papers and gave me a pen. I started signing the documents and completing all other formalities. Just then, his phone rang.

"Excuse me a moment," He said.

"Sure, take your time," I replied while continuing with the paperwork.

"Jane?," I heard him speaking.

"James, are you done with the paperwork?" came Mrs. Droin's voice from the other side.

"Not yet, we are about to be done with it"

"Have you told her about him...? The-"

Her voice went strangely and abruptly low. I couldn't resist overhearing, the tone of her voice was grim. I strained my ears to catch the words.

I thought I heard, 'The White Face Man'

Jim tensed visibly, his eyes displaying terror at the mention of the peculiar name. He looked at me as if he was scared of me hearing it. To avoid any unpleasantness, I acted like I hadn't heard anything and continued flipping through the pages of the document. 

James stuttered, "N-no, Jane. I-I will call you later"

He cut the call and looked at me. I handed him the papers saying, "It's done"

"Oh, g-great. I think I-I will just go," I saw the color drain from his face.

"Are you okay Mr. Droin?" I asked, genuinely concerned.

"W-who? Me? Ya, totally"

"By any chance, is there something you think you should tell me?" I pressed the topic.

He went utterly pale and repeated, "I shall go now. E-enjoy your new house"

Before I could probe him any further, he rushed outside. I heard him starting the engine of his car and driving away. Something was wrong, I could sense it. I was getting a bitter taste in my mouth on recalling how edgy he looked. His wife's words left me unsettled as well.