twenty nine.

"can she shut the fuck up?" chris asks with a groan. mackenzie was really starting to feel his hatred for pinkie pie. the two spent the last two hours watching my little pony and chris would make little comments like that here and there in an attempt to make mackenzie smile or laugh. however, mackenzie did not relent. at this point, chris was ready to give up, but mackenzie finally decided to respond.

"can you shut the fuck up?" she replies, pausing the tv show. "jesus christ, you've been commenting about this show so much. if you don't like it, then leave."

"i'm not leaving until you talk to me." chris presses. mackenzies sighs in annoyance.

"alright, the vibe is ruined, i'm going out for lunch." she grabs her shoes from the front and her car keys from the key hook before returning to the living room and giving chris a questioning look. "you coming or not?"

"i..." chris was at a loss for words. "i didn't think you wanted me to come." he admitted. mackenzie rolls her eyes.

"i'm a decent person chris, i'm not leaving you alone in my house with nothing to do. come on."

"can i-"

"no, you can't get the aux."

*** 

it was raining now and mackenzie had the speak now album by taylor swift playing softly in the background while they drove to the closest sushi restaurant. chris wanted to speak up, but he didn't want to ruin the vibe. she was already doing so much as to let him come along, she didn't need to get upset right now. 

'mine' was playing right now. mackenzie was singing softly along to the song while chris listened and watched her in awe.

"i love your voice." he says suddenly. mackenzie is caught off guard and stops singing to look at him for a moment before looking back to the road. 

"thanks." she replies shortly, though chris could see the small smile on her face. satisfied that they were making progress, he leaned back into the seat and continued to stare at her. after a couple minutes, mackenzie noticed and looked at him again.

"stop staring at me." she demands, a hint of laughter in her voice.

"i'm not staring, i'm admiring." chris replies. mackenzie's smile drops. 

"don't do that." 

"don't do what?" chris asks innocently. he was glad he finally got her to speak to him, even if it was telling him to stop.

"stop acting like we're still together." 

"i'm not acting like we're still together, mack." chris points out. "i'm allowed to admire without having to be dating you." mackenzie rolls her eyes as she turns the volume higher. 'sparks fly' was playing now.

"drop everything now, meet me in the pouring rain. kiss me on the sidewalk, take away the pain. 'cause i see sparks fly whenever you smile." mackenzie sings. chris looks out the window and spots a park a little bit ahead. taking inspiration from the song, he suddenly gets an idea.

"mackenzie stop the car." 

mackenzie stops singing, startled, by the sudden determination in chris's words. she starts to pull over, but chris points to the parking lot ahead. assuming that he was probably carsick, mackenzie parks the car and waits for him while he gets out to do whatever he needs to do. it was only then when she realized it was still raining.

"chris where the fuck-" her question was cut off as he shut the car door. mackenzie blinked and suddenly, her own car door was open. mackenzie stared as chris stuck out his hand, as if asking for a dance. mackenzie furrowed her eyebrows as she looked at the sky. it was almost pouring now. not wanting to get the inside of her car anymore wet, she unbuckled her belt and took chris's hand. just as she closed the door, chris pulls her towards the sidewalk, taking her farther down the path, just to where no one could see them.

mackenzie was confused. she had no idea what chris's motives were. did he want to play in the rain? what was he, twelve? besides, he could have easily done this back at her house. 

"chris can you please tell me what the fuck is going on?" mackenzie asks. her clothes were soaked now and so were chris's. chris pulls her even closer. chris's wet hair was plastered to his face because of the rain and mackenzie couldn't help but think about how good he looked right now. they look at each other's eyes. the first time mackenzie actually meets chris's eyes for longer than a couple seconds since he broke up with her last night. they stare at each other for a couple moments before chris starts to lean in. mackenzie's eyes widen as she realizes. 

there's no way he's about to sparks fly kiss me on the sidewalk in the pouring rain right now.

without stopping him, mackenzie stands there as chris presses his lips to hers. she kisses him back, of course. it felt as if sparks literally flew around them while they kissed. as if the last 24 hours had never happened. like it was just mackenzie and chris, chris and mackenzie, against the world. 

after a few seconds, chris pulls away. the two look at each other. mackenzie opens her mouth to speak but chris silences her by putting a finger to her lips.

"i need to talk to you." he says. mackenzie's smile fades. was this all just so he could get her to listen? yeah, it was working, but mackenzie still felt angry that she was just tricked like this.

"mack, i'm sorry. i should have trusted you about logan." chris said. 

"yeah, you should have." mackenzie muttered. she started to walk past him. chris grabbed her arm.

"mack, please. i feel terrible." he pleaded. mackenzie stops and looks at him. she reaches up and moves chris's wet hair out of his eyes before she looks into them.

"good." was all she says before wriggling out of chris's grasp and walking back to her car. chris followed her defeatedly. 

as they got into the car, mackenzie didn't do so much as to even glance at chris for a minute. she was furious, but also conflicted. she missed chris, but she couldn't be with someone who didn't trust her. especially when they assumed she cheated. the drive home was dead silent. mackenzie didn't even bother getting the food they had originally gone out for. the second they arrived back at her place, she went straight to her room and locked the door, leaving chris by himself in the living room. however, mackenzie wasn't a complete terrible person, as she did come out for a couple minutes to give chris fresh towels and some of declan's old clothes so he could dry himself properly from the rain.

chris mentally slapped himself probably more than a hundred times that night. emaan and matt weren't due to come back until late night, so chris decided to make himslef at home on the couch. he lay there, with the thin throw blankets on top of him, trying to comprehend his thoughts. god, how could he have been so stupid? 

how in the world was he capable of fumbling someone like mackenzie harper?

maha speaks :)

longggg overdue i'm sorry

there's a party next chap btw