Girl

The first time I met a titan, I was ten years old. As a shadow fell across the city, I was huddled in an ally corner, unaware of the fingers sliding over our walls. My strawberry hair had been draped over scratched and bloody knees, ones that I had barely any recollection of being mine. Red droplets slithered down my legs, leaving long, sticky streaks in their wake.

The deafening crack of crumbling rock had disrupted my serene corner, echoing off the narrow ally walls and houses of our town. I had hugged my legs tight, trying to ignore it as if it were a dream.

They had called me simply 'girl', since before I could remember. I was an orphan that begged on the streets, a skinny wench that stole her meals from trash piles, a nuisance to the Garrison Regiment. I knew, of course, that my name was Sachi. Sachi Dai.

No one else knew that, though. I made it a point not to speak to anyone except myself, leaving people oblivious to who I was or where I had come from. One day, I had just shown up, and I'd simply existed ever since, that's all they needed to know... but the sound of crumbling, screaming, crashing, and then more wails of despair suddenly ended my streak of silence. For the first time in weeks, I opened my voice, adding a squeal to the chorus of voices. Instinct told me to run, and I listened, dashing into the market. As I squinted into the hazy outline of a giant, blood dripped down the bridge of my nose. The gash from which it belonged was given to me by a baker who earlier had stopped my thievery of his bread loaves. As the droplets fell onto the street, they mixed in with a growing crimson puddle.

I let out another scream, my wide eyes staring in disbelief at the dead corpse of the man who had struck me only an hour before. Then I had wished death on him, now, I felt sick, looking at his body, crushed beneath a rock.

My senses heightened suddenly, the coursing adrenaline preparing itself for a dash of survival, when unfortunately, I was knocked to the ground. The crowd gathered in the square was recovering from it's initial shock, turning in a panic towards the gate into wall Maria. I was tripped and stepped on as they fled, crushed beneath the heels of men and women who had thrown rocks at me and called me names.

The girl Sachi had accepted death before, and almost lost to it's dark tendrils. Now I could feel myself succumbing again to it's flow. The child that I had been had already seen so much, that I didn't want to see anymore. That's when it grabbed me. A beast beyond description, a giant with large, beady eyes and a wide grin, wrapped it's fist around my small torso and lifted me off the ground.

Stories of Titans had been told to me, mainly from teenage boys with nothing better to do than scare a child like me. Many times I had watched the Scout Regiment leave and come back, each time with less and less men. Now I knew what they had experienced. I was going to meet my end like the soldiers.

So many times I have looked back on the moment I was suspended in mid air, the sound of flesh parting and blades cutting, and wished that they hadn't of saved me. After all, I was the girl with no name, the girl who could've died in peace right there.

But I didn't. Now I feel as if death will be twice as painful.