~FORTY-EIGHT~

Even the clock needs three hands to keep to time, don't blame me for being late. We all need an extra hand to wake us.

-Dee.

Dedicating this chapter to Iyanuoluwa-Temi and 1stBukky ❤️✨

Song for this chapter: Let You Down— NF.

•BOLU•

My thoughts were a whirlwind of worries when I got home on Friday after school. It was hard to concentrate. Because I had a lot on my mind: the Ore and Chidera issue, and then Nina. And it didn’t even help that while we had dinner at home, my mom asked about Nina. Said she hadn’t seen her at our house in a long time. I just gave some lame excuse about exams and all. Mom then mentioned something that hit deep, “You should pay her a visit.”

It was a simple, normal statement, but it hit me deep because I had never tried enough to find out where Nina lived. So, even if she were in danger, I wouldn’t know where to start from. Yes, she always evaded it each time I asked her where she lived, but I still should have tried. Again, if there was an award for the slowest best friend, I deserved it. Big time.

When were through with dinner, I went up to my room, headed straight to the bathroom and spent a long time taking a bath. Satisfied, I got out of the bathroom. Cleaned up. Just as I was wearing a bonnet over my head, I heard my phone vibrate. I sighed, silently hoping it was Nina returning my texts or something. Because I’d dialed and her texted her countless times today.

I turned on my phone and saw it was a text message from Ore instead. Naturally, I was disappointed. But I sobered up because it was still someone I was worried about. He’d said we would talk later and he had not forgotten.

We chatted for only God knew how long and he said something that warmed and at the same time, made me hold back: I love you, Boluwaji. Of course, I felt the same way and I let him know that, too. But part of me wondered if he’d only said that at the spur of the moment, because it just felt right. Honestly, it only added more to my list of worries. Once we were done talking, an idea popped into my head; I could talk to Ayo about Nina. Maybe he’d know something about whatever was going on with her. We didn’t talk for too long. But we came to a conclusion.

Plus, true to my word, after I finished talking to him, I immediately dialed Nina’s number for the umpteenth time that day. And not to my surprise, she did not pick. I gave up on trying to reach her through her cell phone. Ayo had said he had an idea of what might be wrong with her, but I didn’t. And I was supposed to be the best friend here. There and then, I started feeling guilty.

Not knowing what else to do, I stood up from the bed paced the length of my room, tapping my phone in my hands. My footsteps growing louder every minute. I almost jumped out of my skin when someone opened my room door. Stretching my neck from where I stood, I saw Kanyin’s head pop out from the other side. “Bolu, how far na? You no go like sleep?”

I exhaled a deep breath and placed a hand on my chest, relieved I wasn’t being attacked by a Fulani herdsman. “I’ll sleep.” I walked over to where she stood and held the door handle. “Sorry for disturbing you.” Her room was just beside mine, so, any noise made here would definitely disturb her.

I made to close the door, but she held it. Gave me a blank stare. “Are you okay?”

“Yup,” I said, smiling.