April 8th, 1860

Today's the day Pa's takin us to a slave auction up at Knoxville. We woke up early and got the horses and wagon ready and we were off. When we arrived they had all slaves young and old lined up. We had gotten there just in time too they had just barley started the auction. The first one up was an old man who had clearly seen his worse days he had a huge gash just above his right eye it had looked like somebody had taken a shovel and hit him. The auctioner said he was 165 pounds of pure muscle. He could haul three thirty pound bundles of cotton three miles. He had been sold to Jesse Collins a wealthy man indeed for $4,060. The next one was a woman about mid thirties who's face was strong and firm, everybody wanted her she was strong. He started off with $100 then my Pa bought her for a whoppin $6,890. We had been there for a while and I couldn't find one that I wanted to buy until a girl about 14 years old. They said she was very respectful to her masters and was very polite. When he had started throwing prices around nobody wanted her so I ended up buying her for $1,005. She was the most beautiful gal I'd ever laid eyes on. After that Pa had bought three more slaves and we headed home to show Ma and my sisters.