The Day the World Turned Over

I remember the day... The day that history... was made. And not for the better. At least for both the Other Side, and ourselves. I remember when the first news reports came in. This is the Story... the Story of my rise in fame and profits... and the downfall of yet another foe.

December 7th, 2019
Kyoto, Japan. 1155 Hours

The streets were bustling with activity. The various Sensha-do teams were arriving since yesterday as they prepared for their big convention to select the first pair-ups for their matches. How they do not regularly kill each other in those infamous machines of death is beyond me. But I guess that is what happens when you want bloodsport without the blood.

"You're moping again... Werner, why are you upset by being a moderator? You have the easiest job with the biggest return!" The Barkeep spoke with a tone of judgement and amusement.

"Because, Keiko, it is boring! Yes, the money is great, but I became a merc to combine profits and thrill, not essentially babysit. That is what the Federation and MEXT is for, for Christ's Sake!" I practically complained before sighing, taking a long sip from the whiskey in front of me.

"You still accepted." I shot Keiko a glare before sighing. "Fair enough... I was expecting more than just watching from a tower though."

Before we continued, the regular TV program was interrupted by a breaking news. "Breaking from downtown Kyoto! A structure seemingly appeared..." I tuned out the entire program as I looked upon the structure. It seemed familiar, but I could not exactly place it. My eyes widened as what appeared to be humans and... Elves? Orcs? Bull people? I glanced to Keiko, whom nodded before I turned to leave the bar, pushing open the door before rushing towards my vehicle.

With quick action, I opened the trunk before flicking open the large case within, revealing a M16, Kevlar armor, fully kitted out with ammunition and several smoke and flashbang grenades. After suiting up in my equipment, I entered the driver's seat before shifting the vehicle into drive, tires biting into the asphalt.

After driving for what seemed like forever, I pulled into an alleyway and got out. I may be rushing forward, but my gut instinct told me that combat was afoot. But I wasn't stupid, and my plan was relatively simple: Call up my fellow coworkers and the JSDF, and then hold off whatever was coming through.

The crowd was already fleeing, a smart move, I'll give the civilians that. My phone dialed as I held up in the alley, gun pointed towards the street. "This is Hitman of Wellington PMC. Converge on Kyoto. Will hold back aggressors as long as possible." I placed the phone on vibrate before stuffing it into my pocket.

With little hesitation, and steeling of nerves, I advanced towards the street, sweeping the corner before walking up to a small wall. As my eyes scanned the street, I noted the two banners flying down the road: A blue and red, with emblems I could not clearly recognize. But that was not my concern. Civilians have ran into the side shops, and there was no way I could deal with them and the enemy.

"Fucking..." I held my fire as the first line of invaders rushed forward. "You are wasting your energy..." With an intake of breath, I squeezed the trigger. The bark of the rifle sent the deadly song of death. The smell of spent powder and the adrenaline of combat, it was intoxicating. The one I aimed at collapsed with little fanfare, the others pausing out of shock. No time to give that shock to wear off.

Three short bursts downed five more of the enemy before I ducked under cover. I heard shouting, but I paid it no mind. I can't hear them clearly, and I have no interest in trying to understand orders that are meant to end my resistance.

I stood before firing multiple bursts before back-stepping to another wall for cover. Distance is key to my success. The crack of firearms told me that the enemy at least know what firearms were, but it didn't sound like any firearm I knew about.

One look told me that it was flintlocks. Greater threat identified. I fired two bursts before dropping down to reload, not lingering to find out if they can still return fire. A whistling reached my ears before several arrows landed behind the wall, barely missing my foot. "Shit...." I brought my weapon around and over the wall, switching to automatic from the semi-auto I was using. A three second burst, downing an archer. I noted that the enemy was getting smart, using cover and concealment instead of standing in the open.

I fired another four second burst before a low drone was apparent. I looked behind me before seeing a Hind flew over, the guns underneath the nose roaring to life. I grinned before looking down the road, seeing several APCs rolling up, followed by at a T-72. Wellington responded first, and the push was going to be hard.

I was joined by a squad of new mercs, clearly haven't seen battle at all as they hesitated. We cleared the road, one coven at a time. Time flew as we approached the portal, seeing corpses of the enemy. I looked over the discarded banners before sighing. "No wonder it is... familiar..." A lion and a hoof-like with a dot in the middle.

The rest of the day was spent making sure the area was secured. But the one thing we could not figure out was why. Why invade through a portal and potentially engage a force that could be outclassing your own forces?

"So... you were saying about a boring job?" I glanced to my right, seeing Keiko in full JSDF kit before sighing. "Shut up..." I snapped before walking over to a tent...