Prologue

The world around me was a canvas of white.

As I walked through trees coated with heavy snow, a frigid breeze caressing my cheek, the rustle of snow beneath my feet was the only noise that disturbed the serenity of the forest. It was so quiet that the sound of my breath was the only sound I could hear.

I gazed up at the dreary sky, searching for any hint of color other than white. But alas, my search was in vain, and I let out a despondent sigh at the sight of the pale winter forest. Heavy snow was everywhere, and not a single drop of liquid could be seen as it all solidified.

Suddenly, a voice called out from afar, breaking the silence of the forest. "Aneira," it called. "Would you be so kind as to join me for some tea?"

I had spent my entire sixteen years of life in this place, living among my tribe—the Winter Folks. All was well and good in my world. I had food, a loving family, and a splendid abode to call my own. Clothing, affection, and a snug shelter to ward off the cold were all mine for the taking. Truly, it would have been impudent of me to covet anything more than what had already been bestowed upon me.

"One moment, Grandfather!" I exclaimed, swiftly setting my bow down and rushing towards the coyote I had just shot. The beast was a fine catch, its hide thick and its coat lustrous. With some effort, I managed to hoist it onto my shoulder and began the trek back to our humble village.

As I entered our village, my grandfather was there to greet me, his stormy gray eyes fixed upon the coyote that I had taken down. "Another one? Impressive," he remarked, his white hair neatly slicked back. "I would expect nothing less from the granddaughter of our tribe's chief."

My grandfather was not only the esteemed chief of our tribe, but also renowned as one of the greatest hunters among us. At times, I found it hard to fathom that a man as great as my grandfather was my own flesh and blood.

The village was bustling with activity, as it always was. The sound of children's laughter filled the air as they played games and chased each other around. Meanwhile, the adults of our tribe worked tirelessly to prepare for supper. A smile spread across my face. I carefully handed the coyote to one of the women who was preparing for supper, thanking her for her help.

My grandfather and I made our way inside our cabin. As we stepped inside, the delightful aroma of freshly brewed tea filled my nostrils. He poured me a cup of tea and motioned for me to take a seat on the cushioned floor. I obliged and settled in next to him. As I took a sip, the comforting warmth of the tea spread throughout my body, filling me with a sense of contentment.

"It's sweeter than usual," I remarked. "I do fancy it quite well."

"You're still but a child, after all." He smiled and took a sip. "I do wonder what your parents would've said if they saw how you've been doing today. Their precious daughter, no longer little, she hunted a coyote by herself, again!"

I chuckled softly at his enthusiasm. "I have the chief to thank for that."

His eyes softened and curved into a gentle smile. "Do me a favor, Aneira. Do not grow up so fast. The days I have spent raising you are the days I treasure the most."

I beamed at him, as sweet as I could muster. The cabin was quiet, save for the gentle wafting of smoke from our teacups. It lingered for about three seconds until an abrupt noise from outside disrupted the peace.

"Chief!" The door flung open, revealing Varue, my grandfather's right-hand man. His white hair was tousled, and I could sense a faint tremor in his gray eyes, which he was trying to conceal. "Visitors."

I sprang up, fully alert. My grandfather's eyes met mine, and we hastened outside. In all my years, not a single outsider had ever visited our village. This was not normal, and I was certain that everyone else felt the same way. Our village was concealed deep within the forest, and I doubted that any sane person would willingly venture into a cold, wild animal-infested region.

A small crowd had gathered at the entrance to the village, with children squealing in excitement for reasons that I myself could understand.

"Colored men!"

"Look at their hair."

"Their eyes!"

In our village, everyone had white hair and gray eyes. The children were fascinated by the appearance of the outsiders, but I knew this was not the time for me to be awestruck. As my grandfather and I approached the crowd, they parted to reveal a group of men with unfamiliar features, all with dark hair and eyes. Their skin color was far from ours. They carried swords and bows and their thick clothing was tattered, perhaps from the harshness of the surrounding wilderness.

"Who leads this village?" the man in front, perhaps their leader, asked. He was around his thirties, assuming people outside of the winter forest age the same way as we did.

"I do," my grandfather replied with authority, his eyes full of disdain. "Identify yourselves and your intentions. Failing to do so will have us, Winter Folks, behave quite aggressively."

As the chief stood there, a man approached and addressed him with poise, "You must be Malcolm Blanc." He straightened his posture and continued, "I am Dominic, accompanied by two officially appointed imperial knights. We are sent by the emperor himself, Rhiannon Von Leusche."

A hush fell upon the crowd, and my eyes widened at the prospect of being in the presence of one who was personally acquainted with the emperor.

With a sense of importance, Dominic announced, "His Majesty has sent a message," and unveiled a small, velvet letter bearing the imperial seal.

Whispers and gasps permeated the air, and I remained motionless, attempting to process the information until I felt a gentle nudge on my left shoulder.

"Nate," I said, turning to face him. He wore a smile on his face, but I could sense the unease in his eyes.

"You've always longed to see foreigners," he reminded me. "Well, here they are."

My mind was racing with the realization that this was an opportunity of a lifetime. However, I couldn't help but feel unprepared for such a momentous occasion, like a child seeing beasts for the first time after longing to play with them.

The atmosphere was tense as everyone seemed on edge. I had my hand on my bow. Children, despite their fascination, cowered behind their parents, while adults stood with weapons in hand, ready for any potential threat.

Though my grandfather appeared conflicted, I knew from the books I had read that an imperial message must always be delivered and received, and an imperial order must always be obeyed. The imperial status held so much power that turning them away was not an option.

The chief raised his right hand, signaling the villagers to lay down their weapons, and whispered something to Varue, who nodded in response. The people complied and stood still.

"Follow me," the chief directed the foreigners, leading them back to his cabin.

Before we entered, Dominic spoke up, embarrassed at having forgotten to mention, "Do have your heir participate in our conversation."

My grandfather halted, his piercing gaze fixed on Dominic.

"Their presence is necessary," Dominic added, his reluctance thinly veiled.

The chief looked at me, and I nodded in agreement.

Not once in my life have I ventured beyond the vast forest that has always been my home, nor have I ever laid eyes on any humans outside of my tribe. Yet here I was, unexpectedly summoned to engage in conversation with complete strangers.

Visitors to our village were an exceedingly rare occurrence, and the gravity of the situation was not lost on me. Clearly, some monumental event was about to transpire.

One that would undoubtedly have a profound impact on my life.