Adventure in Action: Character

Jada Kingsley, 16 female

Black Caribbean American

Natural hair, dark skin, tall slender, she has a white streak in her hair that is a "birthmark." She wears mostly black clothes including dark sunglasses because her pale blue eyes are very light sensitive which causes terrible headaches.

She is a high school sophomore and a straight A student. Grades come easily to her. She hopes to someday be a veterinarian, she currently volunteers at the local pound.

She's a loner who definitely prefers books and animals to people. She's generally a very calm/chill person (part of what makes her so wonderful with animals.) But, when she was a baby, she had health problems at birth and inadvertently her vocal cords were damaged by a breathing tube. So she can talk, but she perpetually sounds like she has very bad laryngitis with a very quiet scratchy voice. So like anyone with a noticeable disability, people CONSTANTLY question her about what is "wrong" with her voice and it's so frustrating that it never occurs to people that it's just not their freaking business.

Jada's skill/interest outside of animals is witchcraft. In her family, all the females are told they're born witches. Mostly it always seems like they're joking when they say it. But Jada first started learning about it to try and find relief for her migraines. Once she discovered she was actually very good at it, she decided to start "messing with" the people who rudely inquire about her voice. The extent of your rudeness correlates with the level of hex that Jada will cast on you.

Jada likes animals, books, witchcraft/nature and her family, although she's an only child and both parents work all the time. So she spends most of her time alone with her pets to do as she pleases. She likes that freedom.

Jada dislikes nosy rude insensitive people. She dislikes being stuck indoors for too long. She dislikes labels. She feels that too many labels strip her of the freedom that she loves.

Her strengths are her deep empathy and connection with animals/nature/her environment. But, her weakness is that when faced with the type of person she dislikes, she can be quick to anger. Especially if she is in pain due to a headache.

Jada's biggest fear is being forgotten. Sometimes she feels a little neglected and ignored by her absent parents (although they are affluent and she is well cared for) so she feels unseen. This has led to her being afraid of not leaving a mark on the world. Of nobody remembering her. Of being invisible.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of Jada is that, although witchcraft is actually pretty trendy in her age group, anyone can learn it and practice it... She has a secret power. Something she's never told anyone. If Jada wants to do the dip on and situation at any given time, she can turn herself into music. She magically becomes a ghostly haunting melody that sounds like it's coming from inside someone's head, and whomever was around will forget that she was there.

Intro to Jada:

Jada Kingsley had always been a bit of a loner. It wasn't that she didn't like people, it was just that she preferred the company of animals and books to the constant chatter and noise of her high school classmates. With her natural hair, dark skin, and towering height, Jada already stood out in a crowd, but it was the white streak in her hair that really caught people's attention. She tried to ignore the stares and whispers, but it wasn't easy, especially when she had to wear dark sunglasses to protect her pale blue eyes from the harsh glare of fluorescent lights. Without them, she would suffer from terrible headaches that lasted for days.

Jada was a straight-A student and a natural with animals. She spent most of her free time volunteering at the local pound, caring for cats and dogs and even a few birds and reptiles. She hoped to become a veterinarian someday, but she also had another interest that she kept to herself: witchcraft. In her family, all the women were told they were born witches, and Jada had started learning about it to try and find relief for her migraines. But as she got better at it, she realized that she could also use her powers to mess with the people who rudely inquired about her voice.

You see, Jada had health problems at birth, and her vocal cords had been damaged by a breathing tube. She could talk, but her voice was always scratchy and quiet, like she had a permanent case of laryngitis. It was nobody's business, but people were always asking her what was wrong, and it drove her crazy. So Jada started hexing them, using her witchcraft to teach them a lesson. The ruder they were, the more powerful the hex.

Jada was used to being alone, but she wasn't lonely. She had her pets, her books, and her witchcraft, and that was enough for her. But sometimes, when her migraines were bad and her parents were away on business trips, she felt a pang of fear. What if she was forgotten? What if nobody remembered her? It was a silly thing to worry about, but it still nagged at her.

And then there was her secret power, the one she had never told anyone about. If she wanted to disappear from a situation, she could turn herself into music. It was a strange and powerful magic, a haunting melody that seemed to come from inside someone's head. And when it was over, whoever had been around would forget that she was ever there.

Jada Kingsley was a complicated girl, with strengths and weaknesses, fears and hopes, likes and dislikes. She was a witch and an animal lover, a loner and a prankster. But most of all, she was unforgettable.

 But most of all, she was unforgettable