Anxiety

anxiety spikes through your chest as you activate your quirk, a simple force field quirk that allows you to protect yourself and the civilians from the debris shed by the nomu attack. you weren’t a hero, you never could be but at least with your ability you could defend yourself against the onslaught of enemies. “get back!” you scream to the families behind you, as the creature bounces off of your shield.

your bottom lip wobbles with fear that doesn’t go undetected as the civilians around you do as they’re told— backing up as far into the alley as they can. you know that you’ll only be able to keep your quirk going for a few moments more, the blow to your head you’d suffered earlier when you first started running already taking its toll on your body. that combined with the size of your force field and the number of people you were using it to protect— if help didn’t come soon, the lot of you would be goners.

screwing your eyes shut in attempt to block out the horrid sights and sounds before you, blood from your wounds trickles down your face and you can feel yourself growing weak, your bubble of protection flickering enough for a smaller nomu to sink through. ‘this could be it,’ the thought echos darkly through your mind, chilling you to the very bone while the screams of your fellow citizens pound at your ears. you almost think to let go, stop yourself from prolonging the inevitable death of everyone around you— when suddenly their screams turn to relieved cheers, causing your eyes to shoot wide open.

and there he is, wings bright red with glory fluttering behind him as he holds a feather sword firm in his grip. hope flutters in your chest at the sight of your hero swooping in to save the day. hawks slices right though the offending nomus— taking them down easily in order to reassure yours and the other civilian’s safety, his presence ignited a new flame of determination in your chest and you force yourself to stand in order to rebuild parts of your shield that had weakened. keigo is feral, frothing with a rage in him that you’ve never even seen before. his usually warm, golden eyes form narrow slits, a merciless and cold expression sitting heavily on his features. you shield the eyes of two children as their hero slaughters each beast, their blood splattering against the invisible barrier you’ve put up.

when the wails of the nomus finally die down, your quirk gives out and you collapse from exhaustion. you’re only out for a few minutes it seems, giving hawks enough time to check on the people that you’ve saved. a small smile pulls at the seams of your lips as the winged hero takes you  into his arms gently and checks over the injuries you need to have sorted later, his gloved hand cupping your face. “you’re damn near crazy, protectin’ all  those people like that,” he scolds you gently, timbre voice filling you with warmth. “i almost lost you.”

you cup the hand on your  cheek with your own, rolling your eyes as you swipe some blood  off of  your lover’s face. “guess you could say i get my recklessness from you, huh?” sitting  up, you press your forehead  to keigo’s and hum, feeling skin against your own brings you right back down to reality. “but i had to protect those people, knowing what i can do, it’s only right that i put life on the line.”

keigo leans forward and basks in your presence, locking away his  golden eyes as they flutter with relief. “startin’ to sound like a true hero dove,” he whispers against your lips, barely brushing them against his own. “can’t tell if you’re the number two instead of me…”