Ep. 3.3 (R) - Ride or Die

A/N - As I mentioned in the announcement, sorry this chapter was delayed. My cat got sick. He's doing better now, but he's old so every ailment is a scare.

BUT! I got it posted this weekend, so that's got to count for something, eh?

*****

Patrick, Aidan, and Farid are meeting up in the former stables, now turned car garage, at the back of the Academy property. Headmaster Pierce has given them the keys to the "company car" so they can get themselves to the Kikatuwa tribal compound.

Farid approaches the other two boys with a motorcycle helmet tucked underneath his arm.

"Hey," he says, louder than normal since Aidan and Patrick are both leaning back against a garage pillar, but far apart and hunched over their phones, not talking to each other.

Both their heads rise when they hear Farid's voice.

"Hey," Patrick says. Aidan, for some odd reason, waves.

"So, listen," Farid says, "I'm gonna ride my bike up to the Kikatuwa compound, if you guys don't mind. I haven't ridden it since..." his voice trails off. Since Sebastian and I buried a Shifter out in the woods.... His throat constricts and he coughs as the thought of that night invades his mind.

"You okay?" Patrick asks, brows furrowed.

"Yeah, yeah. I just--" Farid thumps his chest until the cough subsides. "Yeah, I just gotta get some fresh air."

"Fresh air is good," Aidan offers, somewhat nonsensically. He doesn't want to show it, but even though he's excited, he's also nervous about being successful on this very first mission. He tries to play it cool. "Yeah," he says, his head bobbing casually as he speaks. "We'll probably drive the company car with the windows rolled down," he adds, communicating the first thing that pops into his head... as he is wont to do.

Confused, Farid's smile wavers while Patrick just gives Aidan the side-eye.

Just then, Aidan notices Farid's motorcycle and gasps. "Oh, wow!" he says, rushing over to it. "This is a kickass bike, dude!" He lets out a slow whistle as he leans back to take it all in. "Is this a 1958 Honda Benly with a 9.5 horsepower/7000 rpm engine?" he asks eagerly.

Farid's eyes go wide. He's impressed. Aidan's knowledge of vintage motorcycles is excellent and surprising, even though he did get the make and model wrong.

"Uh, no..." Farid gently corrects him. "It's actually a 1956 BMW R50. However..." He adds enthusiastically. "That's a really good guess! I didn't know you were into vintage bikes. What do you ride?"

"Well, technically, I don't ride," Aidan admits as he drags his hand slowly and reverently over the sexy curves of the classic motorcycle. "I mean I would," he adds, "if I had the cash for a really sweet ride like this, or..." he pauses to consider the question more thoughtfully, "... or if I liked going fast, which I don't because high speeds make me nauseous, or..." he stares up at the ceiling, as if gaining new insight from the heavens above, and suddenly adds, "or if I didn't have a deep-seated, bordering on the phobic, fear of getting bugs in my teeth."

He smiles awkwardly.

A beat of silence, then...

"Yeah, okay..." Farid nods politely, "I could see how that might be a hindrance."

Patrick slides Aidan a quizzical glance. "Wait, so, if you don't ride and you don't own a vintage bike, how do you know all of this random shit?"

"Oh, well, you see..." Aidan looks coyly from Patrick to Farid and then blurts out, "I don't have many friends in real life, so I spend a shocking  amount of time on the internet." He smiles awkwardly, again.