One

Curses tumble easily out of your mouth as you try to wipe off your punch-stained shirt. The red dye is far too soaked into the fabric and the cheap napkins barely absorbe anything.

The reeking dumpsters next to you provided no comfort, and neither did your sore wrist. Your frustration summoned tears, and then sobs before you knew it.

Pathetic.

This was supposed to be a good night with your friends. But then they all got caught up with their partners and other friends. Before you knew it, you were stuck in the corner, overstimulated and alone.

A guy you didn't even know grabbed your wrist and pulled you to dance. While fighting him off, you managed to spill his punch on you and trip, landing on your wrist on a nasty angle.

Fuck tonight.

Suddenly, a noise brakes you out of your self-pity.

You look up towards the noise, which is the opening of a door.

What you see shocked you.

His yellow peel seems dimmer without the bright stagelights, and so does his eyes. Deep purple bags sit under his eyes, almost like bruises. His usual million-dollar-smile is absent, an empty expression painted on his face instead.

He lights up a cigarette and sticks it in his mouth.

You sniff, wiping your eyes, and look at the banana some more.

Finally, after a minute or two, he notices you. His expression shifts immediately, his eyes widening and then smiling.

His smile is forced, doesn't quite reach his eyes.

"Oh! Hey there." He tosses the cigarette away.

You just sniff again, half because you're starstruck, and half because you may start sobbing at any second now.

"Woah, not lookin' so hot." His stiff pose softens as he steps up to you. "What happened?"

You look down, rubbing your sore eyes and nose. You can't let him see you in this pathetic state.

"Not a talker, huh? Don't worry darlin', you ain't gotta explain a thing ta' me." His smile is a soft, gentle line. The complete opposite of his TV grin. "Ya' need a bottle a' water?"

You nod silently.

He disappears into the building for a minute before coming out to the alley again. He holds a bottle of water in his hand.

"Ere' ya' go darlin'." He holds out the bottle.

"Thanks.." You speak, your voice cracking. You take the bottle.

"Oh, so ya' can speak." He jokes.

You drink from the bottle gratefully.

"So, wanna autograph?" He asks. You give him a confused look, continuing to sip from the bottle. You didn't know you were that thirsty. "Ain't that why yer out here?"

"No.. I.." You lower the bottle. You drank over half of it. "I had a rough night."

"Mm, I hear that. My night ain't been a dream either." He sighs. "First my script gets wrecked by that interns coffee, then some producer decides my bow tie looks borin'. Tch, as if the bowtie ain't my whole brand! What a-"

He pauses when he sees your hesitant expression.

"Ah, sorry to rant, darlin'."

"S'okay.." You sigh. "I was at this shitty party.. My friends abandoned me and now I'm in this stinky alley, looking like a wet towel.."

"Sounds like ya' need some better pals."

A scoff sneaks out of your mouth before you can stop it. "Understatement of the century."

An awkward silence passes between you.

The wound reopens in your heart, and you're crying again.

"Oh, no, don't cry." He tries to comfort you, still not touching you. It's clear that he wants to respect your personal space.

You bury your face in your hands, sinking to the dirty ground.

"I'm sorry if that was a sore topic for ya'. Didn't mean to make you cry." He looks down at you, eyes shifting guiltily to the left.

Your body racks with sobs, only muffled by your palms.

He lets you cry it out, not saying a word.

Finally, you slow to a stop.

The banana asks to sit beside you, to which you gladly say yes, and does so.

"I'm sorry.." You say, although not quite sure why.

He pats your shoulder reassuringly.

"Ain't got nothin to pologize for, darlin."

You find yourself grabbing onto the banana's surprisingly warm body, face buried in his shoulder.

"Oh!" He tenses up before melting into your embrace. "Oh.. You musta had a real tough night."

Your heartbeat slows down until you're practically asleep in his arms.

"You seem like you need a lil' help.. How's about I take your back to mine?" He asks. "N-Not for anything inappropriate." He adds hurriedly.

You think about it for a second.

On one hand, you really could use a shower and some company.

On the other hand, you couldn't stand being a bother, and this was a huge ask.

Although, he was the one asking you.

"Okay.. Yeah, that sounds nice." You finally say. "Thank you."

He smiles, helping you up.