Chapter 1- Legally

It was late at night, and Kurapika was on his way back to his hotel, the newly obtained ruby eyes in the seat next to him. He checked his rear view mirror and saw the mysterious cars tailing him.

'Hmm' he thought, 'Guess I'm being tailed.'

Kurapika sped up and so did the cars behind him. He looked at his fuel gauge.

"Shit!" He exclaimed, realizing that he only had 5 minutes' worth of gas left.

Kurapika spent the next five minutes speeding away from the cars. When his five minutes were up, he proceeded to jump out of his car with the eyes and sprint into the forest at full speed. Much to his annoyance, the car drivers got out of their cars and continued the chase on foot.

'I didn't realize how out of shape I was.' Kurapika thought, huffing.

Soon after, the men caught up to him and took the eyes back, by force. Kurapika wanted nothing more than to use his chains against him, but his terms weren't met. The men surrounded Kurapika and started punching and kicking him with nen-filled blows. By the time the men left, Kurapika was struggling to breathe or speak or hear or do just about anything.

Gagging and crawling across the ground, Kurapika manages to call 911 and give them his location before passing out in a puddle of his own blood.

~~~~~~~

Leorio is sleeping when he gets called into the office for an emergency operation. Throwing on his scrubs and a hairnet, Leorio rushed to the hospital.

Once he was in the building, he showed the front desk lady his id badge and hurried into the operation room. When he saw the patient, at first he couldn't tell who it was, the poor person was so bloodied. Upon closer inspection, he was shocked to realize it was Kurapika.

"Oh Sunshine, what did you get yourself into this time?" Leorio muttered under his breath.

Leorio stopped thinking about who it was, and started thinking about helping them. Leorio turned off his emotions and cleared off the blood from Kurapika's body. Leorio looked Kurapika up and down. It appeared to be a pretty minor attack overall, which was kind of surprising. The one thing that concerned him was the fact that even though Kurapika was passed out, his eyes remained a shade of deep scarlet.

Leo finished up and went home, after promising the sleeping Kurapika that he would be back as soon as possible.

~~~~~~~~

That morning Leorio woke up extra early, just to check on Kurapika. When Leorio got to Kurapika's room, Kurapika wasn't in bed, but rather laying across the floor.

"Uhm, Pika? You ok?" Leorio asked, scooping Kurapika up bridal-style.

"Leo?!" Kurapika asked, clearly surprised.

"Yes, it's me, now answer my question sunshine." Leorio responded.

"Yea, I'm fine." Kurapika said, lying through his teeth.

"Don't fucking lie, you suck at it." Leorio warned.

"Fine, I'm in an eensy weensy bit of pain," Kurapika said, wincing slightly as he lifted up his arm to try to prove his point, "But everything is extremely blurry. I can't see my hand in front of my face."

"Finally, you're honest." Leorio said. "But I was kind of expecting this to happen, not gonna lie."

"Wait what?!" Kurapika said, "Why were you expecting it? Also I just realized, why are you even here?"

"Heh heh, I was expecting this because when you were passed out yesterday, your eyes didn't change back to normal, they just stayed red, also I'm here because I was the lucky doctor who would have done your surgery if you needed one! Luckily you didn't though. You might now though, for lens replacements, because you damaged your eyes."

Kurapika just stared at Leorio in confusion. "What?"

Leorio placed Kurapika down and rubbed the back of his neck in shame. "Sorry, I was rambling."

'I find it cute.' Kurapika thought, but what he said was "Yea, but it's okay, so anyway, am I just allowed to leave now? Or do I have to wait?"

"You can leave now, but you were declared legally blind yesterday, so it's illegal for you to drive now. I can drop you off if you want, or you can just stay with me." Leorio informed him.

Kurapika mulled over all the pros and cons. "Okay, fine, take me home with you, please. I hate the smell of sick people."

Leorio smirked and scooped Kurapika up again. "Good choice, Sunshine. I would have picked it too."

~~~~~~~~~~

It was warm in Leorio's house. Kurapika was laying down on Leo's couch, burning up because of the heat. "I would turn the heat down, but I feel like Pairo, so could you do it for me please, Leo?"

Leorio stood up and turned the heat down. "Yeah, sure sunshine; but who's Pairo? And old friend? A lover?" Leorio's voice wandered.

"Wouldn't you like to know." Kurapika teased, He's my best friend from the kurta clan, he's dead now, with the rest of them, but he was blind, and I would always tease him for it. I never stopped to consider that maybe one day I'd end up like him, but now here I am." Kurapika laughed sadly.

Leorio saw tears well up in Kurapika's eyes, and knew what he was thinking, so he scooped him up again and told him that it wasn't his fault they died.

"Thank you, Leorio." Kurapika whispered when Leorio placed him down again.

"My pleasure," Leorio said softly, taking Kurapika's hand in his.

Suddenly, Kurapika just started bawling, and telling Leorio everything.

"Yesterday, the eyes I took were different. They were Pairo's eyes! I c-could tell! They were s-slightly glazed over, just like P-Pairo's! And I let them get away. I'm s-such a terrible friend! I know you're just trying to make me feel better when you say th-that I don't deserve to d-die, but we both kn-know I do deserve to!" Kurapika said, clinging on to Leorio's shirt and sobbing against his chest.